Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External GPS vs internal GPS

Can I use an external GPS on my iPad that has an internal GPS? The internal just does not seem to sample and get a solid reading at all times like my external does. I want to use the external but do not know how to disconnect the internal and connect the external

iPad Air 2, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 8:11 AM

Of course I have one internal but the performance leaves much to be desired compared to the external.

The first sentences states I have an internal, any and every iPad over the years that I bought have been WiFi and Cellular capable. I have never bought an iPad without a GPS

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2020 8:11 AM in response to ckuan

Of course I have one internal but the performance leaves much to be desired compared to the external.

The first sentences states I have an internal, any and every iPad over the years that I bought have been WiFi and Cellular capable. I have never bought an iPad without a GPS

Feb 15, 2020 10:16 AM in response to azTony

In theory, there should be no reason that you should be unable to use an external GPS device that connects to your iPad via Bluetooth or WiFi - and this is often necessary where direct reception of GPS signals are screened from the iPad/iPhone. The external receiver is simply a BT/BTLE accessory.

A typical implementation would be in an GA aircraft cockpit. The key to successful use would be to ensure that the target App can accept input from the external receiver. As for integration at a system level, this should be clearly stated in the GPS receiver specifications.

Here is a link to an external article that you might find informative:

https://ipadpilotnews.com/2019/12/how-to-choose-the-best-gps-ipad/

I hope you find this to be helpful.

External GPS vs internal GPS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.