Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud storage on iPhone

Why does iCloud take up so much space on my iPhone? I recently deleted about 3500 pictures, but now I have a big chunk of my storage taken by iCloud that wasn’t there before the pictures were cleared out.

iPhone XR

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 3:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 7:15 PM

"iCloud" is not what is using your local storage.

Primarily it's your photo ;library. As the message says, if you enable optimization, you will save quite a bit of your local storage.

As well, 19GB is being used by your "Files" app on the phone which is synced with "iCloud Drive" on your Mac/PC.

There may be some savings there.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2020 7:15 PM in response to Austin_Wilson_05

"iCloud" is not what is using your local storage.

Primarily it's your photo ;library. As the message says, if you enable optimization, you will save quite a bit of your local storage.

As well, 19GB is being used by your "Files" app on the phone which is synced with "iCloud Drive" on your Mac/PC.

There may be some savings there.

Feb 16, 2020 8:45 AM in response to LACAllen

LACAllen, thank you for your feedback. I had an iMac up until about a year ago and I used iCloud to sync everything from my computer onto iCloud, as that computer is no longer in functional order I threw it out. Is there any way I can remove those files from iCloud Drive and regain that storage space back on my iPhone? I can’t do much on it because of this.

Thanks!

iCloud storage on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.