Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt 2 to lightning (charging an new iPhone 11 max)

I have a late 2015 model iMac, and I'm thinking of getting the new iPhone 11 pro max. It comes with a USBC cable. Upon doing a little digging, the USBC is the same as Thunderbolt 3, my iMac has thunderbolt 2.... Will this same USBC charging cable work connected to my Mac, or am I going to need an adapter? Is Thunderbolt 2 & 3 different? Are they both USBC?

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 4:17 PM

Hi CentaurMSP-

Great question. I faced the same issue because I have a 2015 MacBook Pro and is equipped with Thunderbolt 2 ports along with standard USB ports. Your iPhone 11 came with USB-C to Lightning cable. You will not be able to use that cable with your iMac because USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) is different from Thunderbolt 2. Yes you can get an adapter from Amazon to use the cable that came with your iPhone 11.

What I do, when I need to create backups or charge my iPhone or transfer data, is to connect my iPhone with the standard USB to Lightning cable that I have laying around the house. If you this cable then you can use the standard USB port on your iMac and connect the lightning port to your iPhone 11. The iPhone will be able to backup, transfer data and charge itself (at a slower than USB-C rate but will charge). Try that.

Axel F.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2020 4:17 PM in response to CentaurMSP

Hi CentaurMSP-

Great question. I faced the same issue because I have a 2015 MacBook Pro and is equipped with Thunderbolt 2 ports along with standard USB ports. Your iPhone 11 came with USB-C to Lightning cable. You will not be able to use that cable with your iMac because USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) is different from Thunderbolt 2. Yes you can get an adapter from Amazon to use the cable that came with your iPhone 11.

What I do, when I need to create backups or charge my iPhone or transfer data, is to connect my iPhone with the standard USB to Lightning cable that I have laying around the house. If you this cable then you can use the standard USB port on your iMac and connect the lightning port to your iPhone 11. The iPhone will be able to backup, transfer data and charge itself (at a slower than USB-C rate but will charge). Try that.

Axel F.

Thunderbolt 2 to lightning (charging an new iPhone 11 max)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.