Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions Quagmire

I am running Catalina 10.15.3 on a mid 2015 MacBook Pro. I am trying to use BlackMagic's Disk Speed Test app v3.2 to test the read and write speed of the internal SSD. I am logged into my user account on the MacBook and it is an Admin account. When I try to run Disk Speed Test I cannot select the internal SSD on the MacBook. I get an error saying it is a Read Only drive. I tried using the Get Info window to add my user account but get the error message in the attached screenshot that I don't have the necessary permission. I also tired changing the "admin" listing in the Get Info window to Read & Write but I get the same error.

What am I missing?

Thank you.

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 7:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 7:56 PM

Catalina has changed the volume layout on the drive and tries to make this invisible to users, however, some apps like Black Magic's Disk Speed Test may have issues. The real "Macintosh HD" volume now only contains the system files and is read-only. The read+write volume containing your home user folders is actually "Macintosh HD - Data". See if you can select the latter option in the app.

Apple article with details on the read-only file system:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210650

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2020 7:56 PM in response to Russ G

Catalina has changed the volume layout on the drive and tries to make this invisible to users, however, some apps like Black Magic's Disk Speed Test may have issues. The real "Macintosh HD" volume now only contains the system files and is read-only. The read+write volume containing your home user folders is actually "Macintosh HD - Data". See if you can select the latter option in the app.

Apple article with details on the read-only file system:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210650

Permissions Quagmire

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.