Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error with language recognition in Dictation (Continued)

The dictation feature on our iOS devices used to work remarkably well. My wife is Austrian and uses her iPhone 11 to dictate in German and English, about equal numbers of messages in each language. Recently, using iOS 12.4, her dictation has become a scrambled mixture of English and German words. It is the same after updating to It is the same after updating to 13.3.1.

I am a native English speaker and I have not suffered this problem on my iPad. In Settings/General/Keyboard/Dictation Language I have selected English and German but when I dictate in English I get English with no German words in it. I have just updated to 13.3.1 and now I am getting the same problem as her. I have deselected German from the Dictation Language and that solves the problem for me.

But it does not solve the problem for my wife. Is there a quicker way to select single languages without having to delve into Settings? i.e. to revert to the previous satisfactory situation.

iPad, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 16, 2020 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2020 4:44 AM

Normally you hold down the Mike key and select your language there. Does that help at all?

Similar questions

2 replies

Error with language recognition in Dictation (Continued)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.