Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crack screen

Hello so I have a question I have a macbook pro that needs a repair on a crack screen it’s not as bad but I would like to know how much It will cost

Posted on Feb 16, 2020 4:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2020 4:48 PM

Ask the folks at Apple Support or at your preferred hardware service provider for an estimate. Apple Support will normally take a look at the problem, and then provide you with options and estimates. Apple Repair and Repair Status Check - Official Apple Support

6 replies

Feb 16, 2020 8:30 PM in response to tamarafromyonkers

Follow these steps:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

If you had backups of your damaged Mac, those can usually be restored. This can happen as part of using Recovery to reload macOS, as the setup sequence specifically offers this Migration Assistant files-and-docs-and-apps migration. This all assumes your backups of your old and damaged Mac are running on the same or on an older macOS release than what your new-to-you Mac is running. Newer can’t restore to older.

I’d usually use Option-⌘-R for Recovery of the newest macOS version supported by the Mac, unless you have a specific reason to use an older version.

If the provider of this Mac does not remember the Apple ID password:

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Feb 16, 2020 9:26 PM in response to tamarafromyonkers

tamarafromyonkers wrote:

got It she knows the login icloud thing just to sign into the computer she doesn’t know so that’s why I was thinking hey can apple restore It as new even when I can’t get into it

You don’t want to start with an already-installed mcOS environment, even if you have the password.

Too much to undo, or re-do, and apps associated with not-your-Apple-ID, among other issues awaiting.

Follow the Recovery re-install sequence, and you’ll get your own environment.

Or restore or migrate your backups, to get your previous environment restored.

If you don’t have existing backups, scrounge a ~4 TB disk for Time Machine, and use that.

How to move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Crack screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.