Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect landline phone to Mac Pro to record phone calls?

I use a Mac Pro (Mid 2012); run High Sierra. I have a landline phone with a 2.5mm headset jack. How could I connect my landline phone to my Mac Pro via the 2.5mm jack so that I can record a two-way conversation on my mac (using QuickTime - I guess)?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 18, 2020 12:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2020 12:41 AM

the minijack officially only really covered audio out so if it's both audio out and mic in the implementation can differ

but if the mac has mic input then you may be able to use a 2.5mm minijack in 1 end cable and 3.5mm minijack in the other and have it work

4 replies

Feb 20, 2020 3:56 AM in response to Rudegar

Thank you very much, Rudegar, for your prompt reply to my issue! Can I use the item pictured below to record a phone call onto my Mac Pro by plugging into the 2.5mm male headset jack of my landline phone and plugging into the 3.5mm Analog audio line-in port of my Mac Pro (back side) (see picture)? How should I program my Mac Pro to record my phone call?

Feb 20, 2020 5:22 PM in response to Angel Llorente

Just be aware that even if you are technically capable of recording a phone call it may not be legal for you to do so.

There are significant, overlapping Federal, State and even foreign laws that define the circumstances in which you can legally record a phone call. If you haven't met the consent requirements on a call you can be subject to criminal and civil penalties; and in some states it's a felony.

In most cases it's best to play it safe by notifying all parties at the beginning of your call and obtaining their clearly stated consent as part of your recording at the beginning of the call.

Here are a couple of sites that provide additional, detailed information:

Justia

Digital Media Law Project

How to connect landline phone to Mac Pro to record phone calls?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.