Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.10 bootable USB

Hey, I wiped this MacBookPro4,1 when I bought it and now I can't find a system boot disk that will work. The only thing I own that boots is a 10.5.8 Upgrade DVD. My El Capitan boot key doesn't work.

My questions are:

1. El Capitan booted when I first brought the laptop home to wipe the drive. I went to sleep and rebooted and tried to install and it no longer works. Why?
  2. Where do I buy a DVD for El Capitan or Yosemite?

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 18, 2020 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2020 6:37 PM

Yosemite and El Capitan were never available on DVD. you can download them from here,

How to upgrade to OS X Yosemite – Apple Support

How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan – Apple Support

Follow the instructions from Section 4 to Section 7 to create the Install OS X Yosemite.app

or/ and the Install OS X El Capitan.app. You can then make bootable USBs of these OS installers.

You need to be doing this on a mac that can run Yosemite and El Capitan. Any mac that came

preinstalled a later OS like macOS Sierra, High Sierra etc will refuse to do the conversion.

It also may be the case that you need to have Snow Leopard installed before you can install

Yosemite or El Capitan, you would need to buy a copy of the Snow Leopard DVD on e-bay

or similar. Having installed Snow Leopard you would need to use the App Store to make sure

Snow Leopard is fully updated before installing Yosemite or El Capitan.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2020 6:37 PM in response to Casa_de_el_Cubano

Yosemite and El Capitan were never available on DVD. you can download them from here,

How to upgrade to OS X Yosemite – Apple Support

How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan – Apple Support

Follow the instructions from Section 4 to Section 7 to create the Install OS X Yosemite.app

or/ and the Install OS X El Capitan.app. You can then make bootable USBs of these OS installers.

You need to be doing this on a mac that can run Yosemite and El Capitan. Any mac that came

preinstalled a later OS like macOS Sierra, High Sierra etc will refuse to do the conversion.

It also may be the case that you need to have Snow Leopard installed before you can install

Yosemite or El Capitan, you would need to buy a copy of the Snow Leopard DVD on e-bay

or similar. Having installed Snow Leopard you would need to use the App Store to make sure

Snow Leopard is fully updated before installing Yosemite or El Capitan.

10.10 bootable USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.