Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activity app, standing measurement

How reliable is the apple watch activity app standing measurement? For example for me, the activity app says I’ve been standing 14 hours yesterday which is impossible. My question is, how does the app measures my standing??

Apple Watch

Posted on Feb 18, 2020 11:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 1:13 AM

This is a quote from Apple Support website;

The Stand ring shows hours in which you've stood and moved for at least a minute. Complete your daily Stand goal by standing up and moving around for at least 1 minute during 12 different hours in the day. Even if you stand all day, you still need to move around.

The minute that you stand and move around can be anytime from 1 minute after the hour until 1 minute before the next hour.

If you have stand reminders turned on then if you haven't stood yet in the current hour then the watch will remind you to stand at 50 minutes past the hour,this gives you 10 minutes in which to stand and move around before the next hour starts.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2020 1:13 AM in response to rosanne195

This is a quote from Apple Support website;

The Stand ring shows hours in which you've stood and moved for at least a minute. Complete your daily Stand goal by standing up and moving around for at least 1 minute during 12 different hours in the day. Even if you stand all day, you still need to move around.

The minute that you stand and move around can be anytime from 1 minute after the hour until 1 minute before the next hour.

If you have stand reminders turned on then if you haven't stood yet in the current hour then the watch will remind you to stand at 50 minutes past the hour,this gives you 10 minutes in which to stand and move around before the next hour starts.

Feb 19, 2020 7:58 AM in response to rosanne195

Greetings, rosanne195

The “hours” Apple Watch measures for the stand goal are not hours, but active hours, translate those as hours you have moved for at least a minute. So for a hour to count as a stand hour you have to move <=1min. If you want to see real minutes you have been standing, check your stand minutes from the trend section of the activity app.

Activity app, standing measurement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.