Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Factory reset/fresh install - Fusion drive

Hi.

I have an iMac 2015 with a 2 TB Fusion drive. My Mac has started to slow considerably and I would like to reset/reinstall Mojave and start fresh.

The question I have is: when I erase the HD do I need to do anything additional to take in account the 128gb Fusion drive? Or does the installer just count the volumes as the same?

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 5:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 6:02 AM

you don't need to anything when you format the fusion drive, you can just go to recovery mode (cmd+R) and re-install OS in it.

If you format your drives individually then you need to combine your drives and re-install OS, below are the commands for creating a fusion drive:

to find out physical storage volumes

diskutil list

to create Fusion drive:

diskutil coreStorage create "Macintosh HD” /dev/disk0 /dev/disk1

to create logical volume:

diskutil coreStorage createVolume lvgUUID JHFS+ “Macintosh HD” 100%

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2020 6:02 AM in response to ikeshima

you don't need to anything when you format the fusion drive, you can just go to recovery mode (cmd+R) and re-install OS in it.

If you format your drives individually then you need to combine your drives and re-install OS, below are the commands for creating a fusion drive:

to find out physical storage volumes

diskutil list

to create Fusion drive:

diskutil coreStorage create "Macintosh HD” /dev/disk0 /dev/disk1

to create logical volume:

diskutil coreStorage createVolume lvgUUID JHFS+ “Macintosh HD” 100%

Factory reset/fresh install - Fusion drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.