Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMS verification code and imessage

How do I get a verification code if I can't receive SMS's, It says invalid code when I fill in the security verification code provided. I need to add the phone number in order to select it in imessage so that I can start receiving SMS's. It seems to be a loop where because I can't receive SMS's, I can't enable SMS's. The iphone store wasn't apple to help and said I should phone in but that just said contact your carrier. Please let me know how to fix this issue to start receiving SMS's. Thanks

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 6:38 AM

iMessages is an Apple-proprietary messaging protocol that transmits thru a data link, so it would work even thru Wi-Fi. Only works between Apple devices, so no, you will never get any sort of iMessage thru it from a business. Regular text messages, SMS or even MMS, transmit thru the voice link with the carrier, so they only work on cellular phones. If you are not receiving SMS or MMS, then your phone number does not have that service enabled and you need to sort it out with your phone's carrier, not Apple.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2020 6:38 AM in response to avrille16

iMessages is an Apple-proprietary messaging protocol that transmits thru a data link, so it would work even thru Wi-Fi. Only works between Apple devices, so no, you will never get any sort of iMessage thru it from a business. Regular text messages, SMS or even MMS, transmit thru the voice link with the carrier, so they only work on cellular phones. If you are not receiving SMS or MMS, then your phone number does not have that service enabled and you need to sort it out with your phone's carrier, not Apple.

SMS verification code and imessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.