Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All But One Song Syncs to iPod (?)

I'm using the latest versions of Catalina and Apple Music.

I have exactly 8300 songs in my library–just music; no podcasts, audiobooks, videos or anything else. I have good old iPod Classic (6G, 120GB) set to sync everything. Yet in the iPod's About section, it says there's 8299 on there, and when I use Shuffle (all) Songs it displays "x of 8299" in the Now Playing.

I don't remember tinkering with any settings that would possibly prevent syncing everything (unchecked items or stuff like that), and comparing the two libraries side by side to find the missing one is not exactly an efficient–let alone workable–solution.

so

1) is this a bug or error with the iPod? or

2) if it isn't and there's really one song missing, how do I find that one non-synced song and change it back to one that does?

iPod Classic

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 8:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2020 6:58 PM

Music > Preferences > Show: Songs list tickboxes.

Try holding down Option and using File > Library > Show Exact Duplicate Items. In some cases you can end up with two entries in the database that point to the same physical file on disk. In this case one replaces the other during syncing, so one missing track hints that you might have one pair of duplicate songs in your library.

tt2

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2020 6:58 PM in response to DreamOnMan92

Music > Preferences > Show: Songs list tickboxes.

Try holding down Option and using File > Library > Show Exact Duplicate Items. In some cases you can end up with two entries in the database that point to the same physical file on disk. In this case one replaces the other during syncing, so one missing track hints that you might have one pair of duplicate songs in your library.

tt2

Feb 20, 2020 7:33 PM in response to turingtest2

The exact duplicates option did the trick.

There were "two" songs that linked to the same file–it was a (two-sided) single with two versions of a song that sounded very much alike; I must have trashed the file of the alternate version (in Finder, not through Music), then directed Music to the main one's file I kept when it couldn't find the file for the alternate one.

Deleted the songs and file in Music, added the original files back, works great now. Thanks, Turing.

All But One Song Syncs to iPod (?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.