Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New macbook air or late 2012 retina macbook pro

Hello!

I'm looking for a new macbook to work but i don't know wich macbook should i buy based on my budget.

my budget can buy a 2019 new macbook air or a 2013 retina macbook pro but i don't know wich is better for my use, i'm android and flutter developer.

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 20, 2020 7:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2020 8:44 AM

The 2013 13-inch Retina macBook pro was discontinued in July 2014. Per Apple's published service policies, parts and service support for that model stopped in June 2019 in most places, so Apple won't work on it any more. Maybe an Apple Authorized Service Provider who can get parts, but that is not a "sure thing."

The 2018 MBA is also slightly faster than a 2013 MBP per GeekBench scores recorded in the MacTracker database:

Like the others, I say go with the MBA and save yourself a lot of grief.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2020 8:44 AM in response to FelipeRsN

The 2013 13-inch Retina macBook pro was discontinued in July 2014. Per Apple's published service policies, parts and service support for that model stopped in June 2019 in most places, so Apple won't work on it any more. Maybe an Apple Authorized Service Provider who can get parts, but that is not a "sure thing."

The 2018 MBA is also slightly faster than a 2013 MBP per GeekBench scores recorded in the MacTracker database:

Like the others, I say go with the MBA and save yourself a lot of grief.

Feb 20, 2020 8:22 AM in response to FelipeRsN

I'd never purchase a 7 year old computer without knowing how it was used. For example, my wife slings her notebook into her briefcase and throws the briefcase into the backseat of her car twice a day and she pounds on the keys when she types. Her notebooks have never survived 5 years without at least 1 repair. My brother on the other hand is OCD and treats his computers like they are precious fragile jewels. I'd not hesitate to buy a used computer from my brother. My wife? No way!

You can check benchmark results to get an idea of which is faster - I honestly don't know. But unless you are writing huge apps I don't think you are going to notice a big difference in compile/development times.

New macbook air or late 2012 retina macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.