Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Dark Mode

I am visually impaired and to see my iPad I have to use a dark background with white text. In IOS12 all I had to do was use Smart Invert, and everything inverted, including web pages. Now with IOS13 and Dark Mode I am constantly switching from DM to Smart Invert - back and forth! It’s a mess! It can be black one second, then I get sudden flashes of bright white - blinding! How can I just get a black background permanently like I could in 12?

My iPad is the only way I can read, so this is really important.

iPad, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 21, 2020 2:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2020 3:07 PM

You should be able to go to Settings>Display & Brightness, set Appearance to Light, then make sure that Automatic is turned off as well as Night Shift. Then you should be able to go into Settings>Accessibility and turn on Smart Invert, and it should not change from the Dark to Light.

5 replies

Using Dark Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.