You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music files

Hi,

I have files in the Music app on iPhone.

How can I move them to the Music app on Mac?

(I didn't bought them on iTunes.)

Hosun Kang

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 21, 2020 10:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2020 4:08 PM

Hello Hosun Kang and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you have a question about moving content between your iPhone and a Mac running macOS Catalina.

Direct syncing of content from an iOS device to a Mac has never been supported. This includes both the current Music app under macOS Catalina as well as the iTunes app which it replaced. If the content was added to the iPhone via syncing from a computer, you will not be able to physically move them to the Mac via the syncing process.

If, however, the songs were downloaded on the iPhone itself and they exist as files that can be accessed via the Files app, you could use iCloud Drive to move them to the Mac and add them to the Music app using the File > Import command as long as the files are not subject to Digital Rights Management.

Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Another option is to use the Sync Library function of an Apple Music membership. While this would not physically move the files to the Mac, it would allow you to access them for play on any device signed in to your Apple ID with that function enabled.

Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music - Apple Support

Cheers.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 24, 2020 4:08 PM in response to HSKang

Hello Hosun Kang and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you have a question about moving content between your iPhone and a Mac running macOS Catalina.

Direct syncing of content from an iOS device to a Mac has never been supported. This includes both the current Music app under macOS Catalina as well as the iTunes app which it replaced. If the content was added to the iPhone via syncing from a computer, you will not be able to physically move them to the Mac via the syncing process.

If, however, the songs were downloaded on the iPhone itself and they exist as files that can be accessed via the Files app, you could use iCloud Drive to move them to the Mac and add them to the Music app using the File > Import command as long as the files are not subject to Digital Rights Management.

Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Another option is to use the Sync Library function of an Apple Music membership. While this would not physically move the files to the Mac, it would allow you to access them for play on any device signed in to your Apple ID with that function enabled.

Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music - Apple Support

Cheers.

Music files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.