Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Snow Leopard on an Older iMac - Installer won't restart

Hi - I have an older 2008 iMac running that was reset to factory settings; This morning I'm trying to upgrade it back up to El Capitan (last OS I had on it once) and I downloaded a Snow Leopard full upgrade 10.6.8.dmg file and figured I would go from there.

I start up the installation, it reboots and next I'm expecting to see the Language Selection menu but nothing happens, it just quits. I've attempted with multiple images and with a 10.5 update, but same story.

The iMac is an Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM and plenty of room on the hard drive since it was wiped clean. Thoughts??

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 23, 2020 5:02 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 23, 2020 6:03 AM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

Thank you for your reply! I've tried rebooting in Recovery Mode several times and command-alt-R (or Just Command-R, or slamming the keyboard in frustration) doesn't seem to work, not sure if this is a 10.4 issue since it works fine on my Macbook running Catalina. Command + S seems to pull up a terminal menu, not sure if there's a magic command I type from there to go into Recovery?

Feb 23, 2020 6:22 AM in response to rulAli

Thank you for your reply! I've tried rebooting in Recovery Mode several times and command-alt-R (or Just Command-R, or slamming the keyboard in frustration) doesn't seem to work, not sure if this is a 10.4 issue since it works fine on my Macbook running Catalina.

It might just be that your Mac is too old for Internet Recovery to work :-(

Command + S seems to pull up a terminal menu, not sure if there's a magic command I type from there to go into Recovery?

That's Single User Mode. I don't think you can boot into Recovery mode from there anyway.

Have you got the original DVD installers? You might be able to install OSX with those.

Installing Snow Leopard on an Older iMac - Installer won't restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.