Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virus

Can iPhones get virus? I was using my phone earlier and got a pop-up saying I need to download a VPN app to clear virus or it will damage my phone and SIM card. Thanks for any help

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 25, 2020 10:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2020 10:15 AM

All such popup messages are scams. Close the offending page, and avoid sites that use such bogus advertising tactics. Never download anything based on a website popup.

Avoid Phishing

4 replies

Feb 25, 2020 10:21 AM in response to DrewR42

If the iPhone isn't "Jailbroken" or otherwise modified to an extent that isn't recommended by Apple, the risk of getting a virus on an iOS device is nearly non-existant.

As for the pop-up, it's a scam. There wouldn't be a notification for one, and VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a technology that allows you to have a more secure connection on your network, and therefore has nothing to do with virus removal.

If you didn't input any information or download the app, then you're fine. Just close the tab.

Virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.