Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Empty dropdown menus on Finder

Hello,

After upgrading to macOS Catalina, my Finder window has 3 new squares that look like a dropdown menu but they don't do anything when I click on them.

I don't remember seeing them before, and I'm not even sure where to start looking for what could have caused them to show up.

Any ideas on how to fix this or where to start looking?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 28, 2020 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2020 9:39 AM

There are only three Finder toolbar items with down-arrow (selection) marks on them. You have the default Group and Action tools on the toolbar already, omitting the optional Path tool item.

The Catalina 10.15.3 Finder ignores attempts to add duplicates of these tools onto the toolbar, so after you added several [flexible]/space items to force right-alignment, how did you manage to add three more toolbar items with down-arrow selector markings?

Do these reappear on the Finder window toolbar after a reboot?

Is this Catalina 10.15.4 beta?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2020 9:39 AM in response to Ibrahim_A

There are only three Finder toolbar items with down-arrow (selection) marks on them. You have the default Group and Action tools on the toolbar already, omitting the optional Path tool item.

The Catalina 10.15.3 Finder ignores attempts to add duplicates of these tools onto the toolbar, so after you added several [flexible]/space items to force right-alignment, how did you manage to add three more toolbar items with down-arrow selector markings?

Do these reappear on the Finder window toolbar after a reboot?

Is this Catalina 10.15.4 beta?

Feb 28, 2020 10:08 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for your answer. After reading it I realised I haven't even looked in the most obvious place, which is the "Customise Toolbar" section.

I haven't figured out what those boxes were, but I was able to remove them from there, and everything looks normal now.

And to answer your questions, the boxes were there even after rebooting the laptop. I am on stable Catalina 10.15.3

Thank you again.

Empty dropdown menus on Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.