Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Coverting VHS tapes to digitial video

Hey, I have previously captured and converted old 8mm film and Hi8 video cassettes into digital files on my Mac, but I now have a few old VHS tapes that I want to copy. Since this is not a camcorder I retrieving the files from, can I use a simple RCA to HDMI cable (with the appropriate adapter on my Mac that I already have) to do this?

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 28, 2020 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2020 1:29 AM

I am not sure if what you are proposing would work.If it does not then I would suggest you try the following.

If you have the model Sony 320 that was not purchased in the UK, then your model most likely has what is known as " signal convert function" sometimes called pass-through mode.

This enables you to input an analog video ( from your VHS player) into your Sony 320 and get a digital video out from the Sony FireWire port then to your Mac.

With this set up you may have to import using the Record function in QuickTime Player as iMovie may not recognise the signal, as timecode may not be present.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201066

Or alternatively if you only have a few VHS tapes then you could try recording these onto Hi8 tape in your Sony cam' and then transfer onto Mac as you did before. This way you may well be able to import into iMovie as against QTP as this method should have the timecode present that iMovie requires.

The procedure for signal convert and for recording onto camcorder tape are in the manual which can be downloaded from the Sony support site. Be sure to set up the Sony cam' menu as directed in the manual for these methods.

Let us know how you get on.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2020 1:29 AM in response to torchlite

I am not sure if what you are proposing would work.If it does not then I would suggest you try the following.

If you have the model Sony 320 that was not purchased in the UK, then your model most likely has what is known as " signal convert function" sometimes called pass-through mode.

This enables you to input an analog video ( from your VHS player) into your Sony 320 and get a digital video out from the Sony FireWire port then to your Mac.

With this set up you may have to import using the Record function in QuickTime Player as iMovie may not recognise the signal, as timecode may not be present.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201066

Or alternatively if you only have a few VHS tapes then you could try recording these onto Hi8 tape in your Sony cam' and then transfer onto Mac as you did before. This way you may well be able to import into iMovie as against QTP as this method should have the timecode present that iMovie requires.

The procedure for signal convert and for recording onto camcorder tape are in the manual which can be downloaded from the Sony support site. Be sure to set up the Sony cam' menu as directed in the manual for these methods.

Let us know how you get on.

Mar 1, 2020 10:52 AM in response to thesurreyfriends

The previous conversion was a simple connection to a Canon Camcorder using a Belkin connector (with HDMI plug) between the Mac desktop and the videocamera. Easy. Now I need to connect the desktop to a JVC VHS/DVD player. The desktop already have the Belkin HDMI connector, so I was thinking an RCA to HDMI cable might work, but I did order the item below instead for this purpose.

Mar 1, 2020 1:42 PM in response to thesurreyfriends

No apologies for the questions...I appreciate your interest. I probably wasn't clear enough in my previous explanation in that yes, I did use an Apple (not Belkin) Firewire adapter along with a specific cable that connects to both the adapter and the Sony TRV-320 Digital Video Camcorder (not a Canon!, my bad) I've included a photo of the set up I used for this. The black plug of the cable inserted into firewire adapter while the white went to the desktop Mac.

As for the Hi-8 tapes, there is nothing on them to indicate whether they are digital or analog...out of the 50+ TDK tapes, they all look the same. The new configuration would be using a Belkin adapter with the firewire adapter (male) and an HDMI female that I am currently using for my second monitor.

Does any of this clarify it? Again, thanks for helping me work through this...I will say that by tomorrow I will be able to hook it up and see if it actually works.

Gary

Mar 3, 2020 7:04 AM in response to torchlite

Not sure what you mean by a 4 pin s-video adaptor.

As the VHS player only has RCA connections then you will not be using the s-video port on the Sony cam'.

The cable you need between the VHS player and the Sony cam' would have been supplied with the Sony when purchased. It is listed as an included accessory.

You are correct that one end is a 4 pin (3.5mm) and the other end has 3 RCA connectors, yellow,white and red.

You do not need to use the s-video port if you can't, but is recommended if you can.

You should be fine with the cable shown below, i.e. the one that would have come with the Sony cam'.

In the diagram below the s-video port is not used.

Mar 3, 2020 1:00 PM in response to torchlite

" And as if there isn't enough for you to contend with."

Just to make you aware that the cable that I highlighted above does come in many flavours.

Depending on it's use the pin arrangement ( pin out) of the 4 pin end can vary.

In other words the audio left and right/ video/ ground connection of the 4 pin can be a variety of combinations.

This is the Sony arrangement but is not the same for all companies.

Hopefully the cable you are purchasing will follow the above format .

If you do have trouble making connection then it is a simple case of swapping round the RCA connectors on the VHS player. i.e. swapping yellow into white/white for yellow etc. etc. various combinations.

Strange that there appears to be no standard for this.

Mar 1, 2020 12:28 PM in response to torchlite

I'm trying to visualise your set-up.

Are you sure the cable from the camcorder was an HDMI cable or was it a FireWire cable?

Were you using the Canon camcorder to convert analog video to digital?.

Can you say what model the Canon cam' was and do you still have it?.

Were the Hi8 tapes analog or digital.They can be used in both Hi8 analog camcorders or Digital8 camcorders.

What camcorder were you using to play back the 8mm and Hi8 tapes? Was it the Canon that you have mentioned above?

Sorry for so many questions.

Mar 3, 2020 5:41 AM in response to thesurreyfriends

Final chapter of the story is that it nothing has worked. The adapter I picked up worked fine for TV or monitor but not for the Mac.

The suggestion for using the Sony camcorder is something I am still working on...inputs are the problem here as the VHS player I have has ONLY RCA types, so now I would have to pick up an RCA to the 4-pin s-video adapter input found on the camcorder, and this is probably the best option to try (not to mention the cheapest).

Coverting VHS tapes to digitial video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.