You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

number keys not working, like num lock is off mac min

I have a mac mini from late 2014. The number keys to the right ( i call it the 10 key) do not work any more. The numbers at the top of the keyboard work but not the 10key. The plus, minus, and divide work. It is like using a windows keyboard and turning off num lock only on windows I believe the number keys become arrow keys.

It is not the key board, I have a mac magic, tried a basic usb, tried the virtual on screen mac keyboard.

I have used the clear button, fn clean, shift clear, 6f, 7f, and actually every function key. Every combination of control, option, command and shift.

It seems to be a setting but have gone thought the keyboard settings, set to factory. The accessibility settings could not find any thing.

Posted on Feb 28, 2020 8:48 PM

3 replies

Feb 28, 2020 8:59 PM in response to macmin111

Try booting into Safe Mode… 

Use safe mode to isolate issues - Apple Support

What Safe mode does:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents startup items and login items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts 
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Restarting in Safe mode can often eliminate a problem or help identify the cause.

You can verify that you have started in Safe mode by clicking Apple menu  > About This Mac > System Report. Then find >Software< in the left column and look at >Boot Mode: Safe vs Normal< in the right pane.

Note– starting up in Safe mode could take 10 minutes or more. Be patient.

If the problem goes away while in Safe mode, then restart your Macintosh and re-evaluate the issue.

number keys not working, like num lock is off mac min

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.