Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 MacBook Pro "Not Charging"

Have a 2011 MacBook Pro (MacBookPro8,1) running macOS High Sierra & lately I've noticed that the battery doesn't seem to be charging. I've checked the battery condition & status.

I've also checked & reset the SMC, though since that was done it for a short period of time changed the MagSafe colour from green to orange, but as said, quickly changed back to green.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 29, 2020 5:15 AM

8 replies

Feb 29, 2020 5:43 AM in response to SRASC

SRASC wrote:

I did state that I tried that already.

"I've also checked & reset the SMC
, though since that was done it for a short period of time changed the MagSafe colour from green to orange, but as said, quickly changed back to green."

Understood.

And are you also saying you worked through the entirety of the trouble shooting document from the Apple Help Topic post above??? Please advise...

It is not to say your old 2011 MacBook Pro (MacBookPro8,1) DC-in board is at fault. This would be a hardware issue, but it is replaceable and separate from the logic board.

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"—

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

I will add—

I do know a work-a-round for a worn connection at the board is to reverse the orientation of the connector.

Here is an example: reversed, taped, and shimmed—

Feb 29, 2020 6:07 AM in response to SRASC

SRASC wrote:

I will check through those troubleshooting methods though I will say that up until last night there was no issue.

Update (2):
It changed back to green & is no longer charging. Still at 54%.

Well it makes no difference what it was doing up until last night...you have an issue today.

Even this interface from the drop down can be misleading sometimes. I can say the magsafe light gets its signal from the computer, so if the connection is incomplete/shorting out/not grounded properly, it can receive a mixed and confusing signal.

Another way to monitor it, and get it setting just right for contact/charging would be from the System Information>Hardware Power> this seems a better more true result.

leave this screen open when making your adjustments to the magsafe. The Command R keys will refresh that page on the fly.

I hope this is at least helpful— I have no more suggestions for you. Good luck SRASC

Feb 29, 2020 5:46 AM in response to leroydouglas

I will check through those troubleshooting methods though I will say that up until last night there was no issue. Was charging fine, used fine as the 2nd screenshot I provided shows.

I just tried resetting the SMC again & switched the power adapter from its plugged in position and neither seems to have helped. The MagSafe indicator is still green though my battery is now at 54%.

Unfortunately an Apple Store is not an option for me as there are none in my region let alone my country.

Update:

As was the case the last time I reset the SMC the indicator changed from green to orange and the computer indicates it is charging, though I have coconutBattery installed and it, among other things, indicates that the battery is charging at 0.83 Watts.

Update (2):

It changed back to green & is no longer charging. Still at 54%.

Feb 29, 2020 11:00 AM in response to leroydouglas

The cable I use now isn’t in the best of condition but I don’t believe it is a short with it (though I did replace the original cable I got the laptop with for that reason a little more than a year later).

My brother has a 2012 MacBook Pro so I tried his cable to see if it would act normally. Unfortunately the same result occurred. Light went to green, computer reported that it is not charging.

At times since my last posting here it has gone to orange and said it was charging but not too long after it switches back to green and not charging again & the battery is slowly depleting, at 36% as I type this.

Mar 29, 2020 4:48 AM in response to SRASC

Unfortunately it seems the problem is back in earnest.

I noticed the last time that it only charged properly when it was completely off. So I left it off for a while to fully recharge to 100%.

When it turned back on it reported all was well “Battery is Charged” though over time it very slowly (over the course of days) dropped but when it reached below 95% it started to drop again (over the course of hours). Turning it off got it to start charging again, until now when it remains green and doesn’t charge at all.

Mar 29, 2020 8:10 AM in response to SRASC

SRASC wrote:

Unfortunately it seems the problem is back in earnest.

I noticed the last time that it only charged properly when it was completely off. So I left it off for a while to fully recharge to 100%.

When it turned back on it reported all was well “Battery is Charged” though over time it very slowly (over the course of days) dropped but when it reached below 95% it started to drop again (over the course of hours). Turning it off got it to start charging again, until now when it remains green and doesn’t charge at all.

I do not know how else to say it— you have a hardware issue— take it in for assessment / diagnostic for your way forward and a full resolve.

2011 MacBook Pro "Not Charging"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.