Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I delete an app from my iMac, does it delete all its supporting files like prefs and whatever?

I'm getting ready to transfer data to a new computer, and want to delete legacy software that won't work in Catalina. I'd like to clean up the existing files on my current computer as much as possible. If I delete, say, Adobe InDesign from my computer, does Finder automatically delete all its attendant files? Or should I use an app like "Clean App" to do this? Thanks.

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 29, 2020 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 29, 2020 8:34 AM

No, dragging to Trash doesn't delete supporting files. And no, do not use any so-called cleaning apps. For Adobe In Design use the uninstaller:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/uninstall-creative-suite-cs5-cs5.html

Other apps without a built-in uninstaller may leave behind some files but for the most part are small files that will not interfere with anything. You can check in Application Support and delete anything there and in Preferences, although those are so small you might as well leave them.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 29, 2020 8:34 AM in response to gkgraphics

No, dragging to Trash doesn't delete supporting files. And no, do not use any so-called cleaning apps. For Adobe In Design use the uninstaller:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/uninstall-creative-suite-cs5-cs5.html

Other apps without a built-in uninstaller may leave behind some files but for the most part are small files that will not interfere with anything. You can check in Application Support and delete anything there and in Preferences, although those are so small you might as well leave them.

Feb 29, 2020 9:32 AM in response to gkgraphics

No Anti-Virus software or so-called “cleaning” apps are needed or recommended for Mac OS. They can conflict with Mac's own built-in security. At best they will slow your Mac by using unnecessary resources and at worst will bork your entire system. Your Mac has all the built-in protection you need.

Specifically, there have been many reported issues with cleaning apps over aggressively cleaning important system files.

If I delete an app from my iMac, does it delete all its supporting files like prefs and whatever?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.