Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compatible printers for 64-bit OS X 10.15.2

I am still waiting to purchase a printer. All makers are unable to confirm whether their printers are 64-bit compatible for the Catalina OS X10.15.2. Hope someone could enlighten me on this problem

Posted on Mar 1, 2020 7:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2020 12:27 PM

Look at the specs of the printer and determine if it states that it is supported by Apple's AirPrint. If it does, and you can confirm in the list of AirPrint supported printers, then purchase that networked printer that fits your needs and budget. As an AirPrint supported device, you do not need the vendor software or drivers, as this is handled via AirPrint when you choose that as the "driver" when setting up the printer.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2020 12:27 PM in response to cliffordfromtampines

Look at the specs of the printer and determine if it states that it is supported by Apple's AirPrint. If it does, and you can confirm in the list of AirPrint supported printers, then purchase that networked printer that fits your needs and budget. As an AirPrint supported device, you do not need the vendor software or drivers, as this is handled via AirPrint when you choose that as the "driver" when setting up the printer.

Mar 2, 2020 12:36 PM in response to cliffordfromtampines

The printers themsdelves are netiher 64 bit or 32 bit compatible.

Its mainly the drivers and ancillary software that may be 32bit or 64 bit.

Pretty much any current commercial printer out there will work with any current Mac right out of the box without any drivers.

Its ancillary software, such scanning software, or photo editing software may not, but unless you have a specific use for them, they are not required for the printer to function.

As explained by Viking above, any printer in the Airprint printer list in the link he provided will work if you want extra assurance that it will.

Mar 2, 2020 12:50 PM in response to cliffordfromtampines

cliffordfromtampines Said:

Compatible printers for 64-bit OS X 10.15.2: I am still waiting to purchase a printer. All makers are unable to confirm whether their printers are 64-bit compatible for the Catalina OS X10.15.2. Hope someone could enlighten me on this problem

———-

Ask the Manufacturer to Confirm:

Once selects, I would ask the manufacturer if it is compatible. It’s all about compatibility.

———-

Driver Compatibility:

Wherever you get the drivers, be certain t is from the manufacturer’s Web site, and none other. Using a different site might get you Malware and Spyware installed.

Operating System Compatibility:

Not only is it the bit version, but also the Operating System version that you need to be wary of. Some drivers only work in certain operating systems. Older printers seem to up to macOS X 10.13 High Sierra.

Compatible printers for 64-bit OS X 10.15.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.