Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to screen share with multiple monitors on both computers

Is there a way to screen share each monitor of a remote Mac with 2 monitors onto separate monitors on the local machine?

I have a Mac Pro in my office with a second monitor, and an iMac at home also with a 2nd monitor. When connecting from home to office, Screen Sharing lets me view both displays, but will not allow me to expand the Screen Sharing window beyond the main screen of my home system.

Trying to open a 2nd screen sharing connection to the remote system simply reverts to the original connection.

iMac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 2, 2020 12:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2020 7:41 PM

Update:  Turns out it is possible, with a little trickery, which just needs a 2nd login on the remote machine.  

0   start a ScreenSharing connection to the remote machine

Connect To:  user1@remote.machine.edu

1   initiate a second connection using the Connection menu, but specify a different username:

Connection -> new  with 

Connect To:   user2@remote.machine.edu

2   change the "Name:" field back to user1 and enter the pwd

Name:  user1

Pwd:  mysecret

This opens up a second window connected as user1, which can be positioned on the 2nd screen of the local machine.

3   switch the 2nd window to Display 2  ( on View menu, or Displays pulldown )

The only problem is cutting/pasting between the windows usually freezes the remote connection.  This may be because my local machine (a 2011 iMac desktop) is running MacOS 10.13, while the remote machine is running 10.15.3, and there may be some miscommunication between the versions. (If anyone else tries this with 10.15 on both ends, please post whether this is still a problem.)

FWIW: when the connection freezes, it can be reestablished by opening an ssh connection to the remote machine and restarting the ScreenSharing daemon with 

sudo launchctl kill KILL system/com.apple.screensharing

(KILL should probably be SIGKILL, but KILL works.)  This is easier (for me) than closing the ScreenSharing windows and re-establishing the session.  It takes a few seconds for launchctl to restart the daemon, and then the windows become active again.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2020 7:41 PM in response to KaneSF

Update:  Turns out it is possible, with a little trickery, which just needs a 2nd login on the remote machine.  

0   start a ScreenSharing connection to the remote machine

Connect To:  user1@remote.machine.edu

1   initiate a second connection using the Connection menu, but specify a different username:

Connection -> new  with 

Connect To:   user2@remote.machine.edu

2   change the "Name:" field back to user1 and enter the pwd

Name:  user1

Pwd:  mysecret

This opens up a second window connected as user1, which can be positioned on the 2nd screen of the local machine.

3   switch the 2nd window to Display 2  ( on View menu, or Displays pulldown )

The only problem is cutting/pasting between the windows usually freezes the remote connection.  This may be because my local machine (a 2011 iMac desktop) is running MacOS 10.13, while the remote machine is running 10.15.3, and there may be some miscommunication between the versions. (If anyone else tries this with 10.15 on both ends, please post whether this is still a problem.)

FWIW: when the connection freezes, it can be reestablished by opening an ssh connection to the remote machine and restarting the ScreenSharing daemon with 

sudo launchctl kill KILL system/com.apple.screensharing

(KILL should probably be SIGKILL, but KILL works.)  This is easier (for me) than closing the ScreenSharing windows and re-establishing the session.  It takes a few seconds for launchctl to restart the daemon, and then the windows become active again.

How to screen share with multiple monitors on both computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.