Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone text message sound not working

My iPhone pro 11 stopped making noise when texts were received. Went to Apple they could not figure it out. Verizon sent me a new phone and it is happening again. Any suggestions on how to fix this issue.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Mar 4, 2020 5:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2020 5:55 PM

Hello Pmckelvey,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand you're unable to hear sound notifications for your text messages. I'll be happy to help.

I recommend making sure that your iPhone is not in Silent mode. You'll want to check that the Ring/Silent switch on the upper left side of your iPhone, does not have an orange color displayed. Here's a helpful article with a visual: How to put your iPhone on vibrate, ring, or silent mode

From there, I suggest to temporarily change the sound notification for the Messages app, restart your iPhone and set the sound notification of your choice. Then, test and see if you continue to experience the same behavior. Here's how to perform these steps:

1. Settings > Notifications > Messages > Sounds > temporarily select a different alert tone.
  2. Restart your iPhone
  3. Then, go back to Settings > Notifications > Messages > Sounds > select your preferred alert tone.

Kind regards.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2020 5:55 PM in response to Pmckelvey

Hello Pmckelvey,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand you're unable to hear sound notifications for your text messages. I'll be happy to help.

I recommend making sure that your iPhone is not in Silent mode. You'll want to check that the Ring/Silent switch on the upper left side of your iPhone, does not have an orange color displayed. Here's a helpful article with a visual: How to put your iPhone on vibrate, ring, or silent mode

From there, I suggest to temporarily change the sound notification for the Messages app, restart your iPhone and set the sound notification of your choice. Then, test and see if you continue to experience the same behavior. Here's how to perform these steps:

1. Settings > Notifications > Messages > Sounds > temporarily select a different alert tone.
  2. Restart your iPhone
  3. Then, go back to Settings > Notifications > Messages > Sounds > select your preferred alert tone.

Kind regards.

Mar 5, 2020 11:53 AM in response to Pmckelvey

Pmckelvey,

Thanks for getting back to us and for verifying that information.

The next step, I suggest is to temporarily disable the Bluetooth feature on your iPhone and test to see if you're able to hear the sound notifications for your text messages.

If that doesn't help, I recommend to temporarily disable the feature called, "Attention Aware Features" in Settings > Face ID & Passcode. Check and see if that helps resolve the issue you're experiencing.

Best regards.

Mar 7, 2020 11:03 AM in response to Pmckelvey

Pmckelvey wrote:

Yes and when the message does not alert on phone it will not alert on watch either

Power off your Apple Watch. On your iPhone go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn it off.

Check if your iPhone is getting sound when new notification is received.

Next, turn on Bluetooth but leave your Apple Watch still turned off. Check if your iPhone is getting sound when new notification is received.

Above won't resolve the issue but it will give a bit more details of what is going on.

Mar 7, 2020 3:36 PM in response to iW00

this Isn't my first watch. Never had an issue until now. We did factory reset and repaired. Even stripped software and reinstalled. Nothing fixed the issue. If watch is off I have no issues. At this point I have been going back and forth with Apple. I've only had watch since September and it just started doing this a couple weeks ago. Thought there was error with phone so Verizon replaced that but it still happens

iPhone text message sound not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.