Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Log file; what is "Bambi"?

BambiClient: system clock changed

What is this?

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 4, 2020 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2020 7:57 AM

jeffpsedlak wrote:

Thanks.
"Bambi" shows up in the log often. Any idea what "Bambi" is?

?

I thought I answered this above—it is a cutely named cron service calling "home" to sync your computer clock back to the mother ship

Cron task—The software utility cron is a time-based job scheduler in Unix-like computer operating systems to set up and maintain software environments, in the background, no user interaction required.

Everyone has the process in their log files, so don't not feel too special 😉

Are you having some greater issue that you need help with— then spell it out and maybe we can resolve it.

Why are you spending your time poking around in log files(?) There are literally 100's—1000's of task running in the background with cute names.

Scheduling Timed Jobs - Apple Developer

Use the Energy Saver settings on your Mac - Apple Support

Change Energy Saver preferences on Mac - Apple Support

Also ref: Power Nap

Power Nap allows your Mac to occasionally wake from sleep to perform tasks such as checking for new email or software updates.

During Power Nap, your Mac leaves its displays and other hardware that isn't needed for these tasks powered down to save energy. After it's finished, your Mac automatically goes back to sleep to save energy.

If you don't want your Mac to wake up on its own to perform these tasks, deselect this option.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2020 7:57 AM in response to jeffpsedlak

jeffpsedlak wrote:

Thanks.
"Bambi" shows up in the log often. Any idea what "Bambi" is?

?

I thought I answered this above—it is a cutely named cron service calling "home" to sync your computer clock back to the mother ship

Cron task—The software utility cron is a time-based job scheduler in Unix-like computer operating systems to set up and maintain software environments, in the background, no user interaction required.

Everyone has the process in their log files, so don't not feel too special 😉

Are you having some greater issue that you need help with— then spell it out and maybe we can resolve it.

Why are you spending your time poking around in log files(?) There are literally 100's—1000's of task running in the background with cute names.

Scheduling Timed Jobs - Apple Developer

Use the Energy Saver settings on your Mac - Apple Support

Change Energy Saver preferences on Mac - Apple Support

Also ref: Power Nap

Power Nap allows your Mac to occasionally wake from sleep to perform tasks such as checking for new email or software updates.

During Power Nap, your Mac leaves its displays and other hardware that isn't needed for these tasks powered down to save energy. After it's finished, your Mac automatically goes back to sleep to save energy.

If you don't want your Mac to wake up on its own to perform these tasks, deselect this option.

Mar 4, 2020 10:23 AM in response to leroydouglas

Since I went to Catalina, I have had shut down issues. Spoke with Apple a couple of times, last thing they had me do was to reload the OS, things are better, but still slow to shutdown and sometimes it goes down and then reboots itself after a few seconds ( like restart but a longer time between going doen and restarting itself).

I heard some time ago that macs communicate with Apple overnight. I always shutdown when I am done working. I left the box on last night just to see if it did some kind of update overnight. This morning, I found the computer had shutdown by itself overnight. I went in to the log file to see when it went down and perhaps why. The question is, does it help to leave the computer on overnight? How often?

Thanks.

Jeff

Log file; what is "Bambi"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.