Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" option in my keyboard preferences

I'm using a third party bluetooth keyboard and I have a usb windows keyboard. Does anybody know how to set up standard function keys (for either bluetooth or usb keyboard)? Is it exclusive to the official imac wireless keyboard? Holding my FN key doesn't change the function of my function keys, no matter the application they always adjust brightness and volume.

I have browsed the forums but the threads I read had more questions than answers.

What my system preferences looks like:

my system specs and version:

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 4, 2020 3:43 PM

6 replies

Mar 5, 2020 5:24 AM in response to dialabrain

Sounds like something Apple would do. Their entire business model revolves around making your life less convenient so you'll buy their products. Wouldn't annoy me so much if their official keyboards weren't so hard to find now. I'm not taking a chance on an expensive keyboard when it may not even be genuine.

Thanks for letting me know in any case.

Mar 5, 2020 5:36 AM in response to Community User

Babbx wrote:

Sounds like something Apple would do.

FWIW, As far as I know, it's always been the case.

Wouldn't annoy me so much if their official keyboards weren't so hard to find now.

Not sure what that means. Apple wireless keyboards are on Apple's site among others.

I'm not taking a chance on an expensive keyboard when it may not even be genuine.

I have a few keyboards from Satechi and Logitech. Both are less expensive than Apple keyboards. Logitech keyboards come with their own preference pane to toggle the Function keys. You have to use the "fn" key to use the alternate functions with Satechi keyboards.

Thanks for letting me know in any case.

You're welcome.

Mar 20, 2020 6:01 PM in response to dialabrain

I'll clarify what I meant,

Wouldn't annoy me so much if their official keyboards weren't so hard to find now.

What I meant was the official keyboards apple sell are very expensive so there isn't much flexibility on price even on other sites like Amazon and Ebay. The latter's offerings usually being broken or missing keys, if any are available. From what I've seen.

I used to own an official apple keyboard years ago and I remember it only being around £20 and that was for the extended one with the num pad...suppose it's possible it was third party.

I'm not taking a chance on an expensive keyboard when it may not even be genuine.

I was referring to the "official" keyboards you find on Amazon and Ebay. I have had plenty of experience on both sites buying "genuine" products only for it to be some knock-off junk from a third-party seller whom cannot be verified. It's a chance I'd rather not take.

I will look into a proper replacement and hope I find something worthwhile!

No "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" option in my keyboard preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.