Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes for Windows 10 freezes after opening the movie.

I bought two HD movies in iTunes store and iTunes is freezing when i try to play them.

My operating system is Windows 10.

Music and music videoclips are working fine.

In the Task Manager i see, that Windows Driver Foundation, iTunes and Windows Media Player after launching a movie my processor is 70 % busy by this three programs.

I have tried to install iTunes both from Microsoft Store and directly from a file from Apple website, all is the same.

I do not have HDCP-supported monitor right now, but i have tried with HDMI cable TV connected, and i doesn't work either.

Please help me, i want to watch my movies and buy other in the future.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Mar 5, 2020 1:06 AM

1 reply

Mar 5, 2020 1:37 PM in response to kurtkurt222

Hello kurtkurt222,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with iTunes freezing on Windows. I will be happy to check this out with you.

A. Disconnect the computer from the Internet

If your computer experiences errors when it tries to communicate with the iTunes Store and other Apple services, there might be an issue with iTunes startup. Starting iTunes without an Internet connection can help determine what's causing the startup problems.

1. Close iTunes.
  2. Disconnect the computer from the Internet. For example, turn-off Wi-Fi or unplug the Ethernet cord.
  3. Reopen iTunes.
  4. If iTunes opens with no issues while disconnected from the Internet, please update your drivers. If you see an error message, contact Apple Support for help. 

B. If there's still an issue, create a new iTunes library to see if the issue occurs in a new library:

1. If iTunes is running, quit iTunes.
  2. Hold down the Shift key. Then, from the Start menu, choose All Programs > iTunes > iTunes.
  3. You should see a message that says Choose iTunes Library. Choose Create Library.

If using a new iTunes library resolves the issue, try to restore an older copy of your iTunes library. This article should help: Back up and restore your iTunes library on your PC - Apple Support

If an older library has the same issue, contact Apple Support for help with isolating the issue. To change back to your original library, close iTunes, then hold down the Shift key on their keyboard while they reopen the program.

C. You can also test this in a newly created unmodified user account. If you need help, please visit the Microsoft website using these links to learn how to create new user accounts for Windows 10Windows 8, or Windows 7. If you have the same issue in the new user account, skip to System-wide issues. If you don't experience the same issue, continue to User-specific issues.

D. User-specific issues. Check for issues with content files. Audio files can sometimes cause iTunes to quit unexpectedly or stop responding when the program is analyzing gapless playback information. To determine which file might be causing the issue, follow the steps below:

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. Open the iTunes folder: Back up and restore your iTunes library on your PC - Apple Support
  3. C:\users\username\My Music\iTunes
  4. Move the iTunes Library.itl file to the desktop.
  5. Open iTunes. Their library will be empty.
  6. Press the Control and B keys on the keyboard to open the iTunes menu bar. Choose File > Add Folder to Library.
  7. Open the folder where their music is located: 
  8. C:\users\username\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media
  9. Choose an artist, album, or song to add to the library and drag it into the iTunes window.
  10. Wait for iTunes to successfully add the item to their library and perform the gapless playback scan.
  11. If the scan is successful, ask the customer to continue adding songs to their library.
  12. If there's an issue with one of their files, their issue will reappear after they add it to the library. If it reappears, start over with these steps, being careful not to add the files that caused the issue.

E. System-wide issues.

1. Check for potentially unwanted programs. Harmful software might prevent iTunes from opening or cause it to quit unexpectedly. Make sure that the customer's security software is up-to-date and scan their system.
  2. Try adjusting the security software's settings. For more information: Resolve issues between iTunes for Windows and third-party security software - Apple Support
  3. Make sure that iTunes is installed correctly. An improper installation of iTunes can contribute to a variety of issues. See Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later - Apple Support
  4. Update the drivers on their PC. Outdated drivers on their computer can cause iTunes and other applications to behave strangely.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

iTunes for Windows 10 freezes after opening the movie.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.