Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Time Machine broken after Catalina update 10.15.3?

I used TM since 2015 thru various iterations of OS X and macOS up to 10.15.2, with no problems. Periodically I would check the TM backups could restore, which they always did successfully, until today.

During today's routine TM backup-restore check under 10.15.3, I ran into problems.

Today's backup proceeded normally to completion. The restore under internet recovery proceeded to a "Successful restore" message after which the MacBook Pro rebooted automatically. During the reboot the Apple logo and progress bar appeared on the MBP's screen. When the progress bar reached 50%, the MBP shut down. I restarted the MBP and used the "Option" key, to select the newly restored boot drive. During boot, when the progress bar reached 50%, the MBP shut down. This backup-restore routine was tried a few times to (wired) NAS, local SSD and second MBP, with the same failures.

I have an archived bootable version of 10.14.6 with which I tried the same backup-restore routine. It was successful to and from NAS and local SSD.

Which now begs the question: is Time Machine broken after the Catalina 10.15.3 update?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 6, 2020 4:37 PM

4 replies

Mar 8, 2020 8:31 AM in response to rose_10

Hello Sarah_s1,

Thank you for your reply.

Yesterday I pulled out of storage an old, 2015 retina MacBook Pro and updated the OS from 10.14.6 to 10.15.3. TM backups and restores to and from NAS and local USB drive, were problem free.

Previous failures to restore the TM backups occurred on three, mid-2019 MacBook Pro machines. I tried again on one of the 2019 machines, without success. The T2 chip boot security settings are at minimum values so I assume the T2 chip is not relevant to the problem especially since the 2019 machines were capable of restoring backups under 10.15.2.

Perhaps 10.15.4, when it comes, will improve matters.

Regards,

J.

Mar 9, 2020 3:58 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Hello Joseph_S,

and thank you for your reply.

I had recourse to "Contact Apple Support" once in the past, which resulted in a long but congenial conversation offering negligible assistance in resolving the issue at that time. I am hesitant to repeat the exercise.

My experience is that a 2015, 15" retina MacBook Pro performs Time Machine backups and restores, flawlessly. A 2019, 15" MacBook Pro will not restore Time Machine backups; not just on one machine but on all three 2019 machines in my office. The 2015 and 2019 machines were upgraded similarly from 10.14.6 to 10.15.3. and all have the same third-party applications installed.

A couple of thoughts:

1) The 2015 machine does not include a T2 security chip. The 2019 machines each contain a T2 security chip.

2) Time Machine backups from an APFS volume should be saved on an HFS volume. Why is that so?

There's a conflict somewhere, be it with macOS versions or the installed applications. I have no time or inclination to further pursue the issue. Just grateful for CCC which has worked flawlessly for the past five years. Unfortunately CCC does not provide file histories which Time Machine restorable backups could provide.

Regards,

J.

Is Time Machine broken after Catalina update 10.15.3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.