Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No longer have necessary permission?

I just tried to create new a .cdr image in Disk Utilities for the first time in years and kept getting denied. When I looked at the permissions for my login, I am listed as an Administrator, but it says I have read only privileges. There has never been another administrator on the computer (there are 2 other users with read only privileges), but now for some reason anything I try to do results in a 'you don't have the necessary permission' message.

Anyone have any idea what may have happened or how to fix it?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Mar 6, 2020 7:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2020 1:40 PM

Many thanks to those who chimed in to help out.

My son suggested not trying to save the new image to the root drive and voila'. I am able to save it under my user home profile.

I am not sure if that means I still have some issue with permissions/administration or if that is the way things are supposed to work. I suspect it is the latter. If so, Apple may wish to consider modifying the https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/create-a-disk-image-dskutl11888/mac document where is says, "...then choose where to save it.", to be more specific so that others attempting to do so don't encounter similar difficulties.

Anyway, happy to be able to move forward. Thanks again to those who contributed ideas/suggestions.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2020 1:40 PM in response to EMH_OK

Many thanks to those who chimed in to help out.

My son suggested not trying to save the new image to the root drive and voila'. I am able to save it under my user home profile.

I am not sure if that means I still have some issue with permissions/administration or if that is the way things are supposed to work. I suspect it is the latter. If so, Apple may wish to consider modifying the https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/create-a-disk-image-dskutl11888/mac document where is says, "...then choose where to save it.", to be more specific so that others attempting to do so don't encounter similar difficulties.

Anyway, happy to be able to move forward. Thanks again to those who contributed ideas/suggestions.

Mar 7, 2020 5:41 AM in response to EMH_OK

Monty Hampton wrote:

It is in step 9 of the linked document you provide that the problem arises. I no longer have permission to write the created image to my HD (1TB Flash Drive). But, I can save new documents to it, no problem.

When I unlock the Users & Groups for the current user (me), the 'Allow user to administer this computer" is checked but remains dim...

My best advise at this time for one-on-one official Apple Support, let them help you sort the issue

provides phone numbers based upon your location.

*Contact Apple for support and service—https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

or

Contact Support

Mar 7, 2020 5:17 AM in response to leroydouglas

It is in step 9 of the linked document you provide that the problem arises. I no longer have permission to write the created image to my HD (1TB Flash Drive). But, I can save new documents to it, no problem.

When I unlock the Users & Groups for the current user (me), the 'Allow user to administer this computer" is checked but remains dim (see image).

Mar 7, 2020 12:38 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks. I did try to the internal drive first (and several times). I really needed it on the internal drive. I just tried the external drive as a part of my troubleshooting. The external drive format is Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

With the internal HD I get the message on the attached image. With the external drive I get a -5000 message.

Mar 7, 2020 6:04 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks Leroy. Had that as my last resort plan, but may go ahead and give them a call up front. I did come up with this, however, and am wondering if it would work:

1) After backing up to both my Time Machine and my external clone, restore the MBP/OS with a new administrative account.

2) Use migration assistant to transfer everything but the Computer & Network Settings.

Any idea whether this would work?

Mar 7, 2020 11:08 AM in response to EMH_OK

Monty Hampton wrote:

What file system is being used on the external drive?

Try doing those same steps but saving the image to the internal drive instead.

No longer have necessary permission?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.