Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse cursor flickers when changing states using the Discrete GPU

Hello.

I have a 16 inch MacBook pro with mac os Catalina. Whenever I'm using the dedicated graphic card, my mouse cursor flickers when changing from arrow to a hand over clickable links.

An example (not mine, but I experience the same thing): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao1ouApC2wk

I've been trying to solve this for over a week. The only solution I found doesn't work on Catalina. It has something to do with changing few parameters in certain "info.plist" file. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't let you dig in system files on Catalina even if you have system integrity protection disabled.

I have no idea what to do. But having this issue is extremely annoying on a computer that expensive. Web browsing, the most basic thing people do on a notebook, is a nightmare.

Btw, it only happens when using the dedicated GPU, on integrated inter GPU it's fine. So, I'm not sure if it's a software issue or the graphic card itself is at fault.

Thank you.

Posted on Mar 9, 2020 12:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2020 8:20 AM

Experienced this issue even back in 2013. Since then, Apple didn't manage to solve this, after 7 years. Despite the fact this bug is extremely annoying.

The only thing I know, that it's now present on all AMD Radeon notebooks. On my old NVidia GeForce Macbook it was somehow fixed a couple of years ago.

I explored all the forums and blogs and there no solutions, except the "solution" with editing .plist-files (which is rather complicated and suboptimal), and disabling discrete graphic card with gfxCardStatus. Let me know if you know more!

Apple REALLY disappoints me with that.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2020 8:20 AM in response to Matěj Michálek

Experienced this issue even back in 2013. Since then, Apple didn't manage to solve this, after 7 years. Despite the fact this bug is extremely annoying.

The only thing I know, that it's now present on all AMD Radeon notebooks. On my old NVidia GeForce Macbook it was somehow fixed a couple of years ago.

I explored all the forums and blogs and there no solutions, except the "solution" with editing .plist-files (which is rather complicated and suboptimal), and disabling discrete graphic card with gfxCardStatus. Let me know if you know more!

Apple REALLY disappoints me with that.

May 6, 2020 12:13 PM in response to Matěj Michálek

I too am hiving this same exact issue on my new 16 MBP. Really wish there was some sort of fix. It's driving me insane. It goes away when I go to safe mode, then isn't there when I come back to normal but eventually shows up again.

May 12, 2020 8:28 AM in response to MarvelousV

So I contacted apple and was put in touch with a technician. This was his reply lol... 

So they came back and said this was expected behavior lol. The technician I have been talking to on the phone was dumbfounded on why they came back to him and said that - with no explanation. I asked him to reach back out to them and get clarification bc I know this isn't expected behavior lol.

I know it isn't intended behavior as I've had Macs for the past 15 years and never experienced it. My fiancé has last years 13 MBP (with the diff graphics card) and she's never had the issue. Frustrating that they are clearly trying to brush this under the rug.

May 28, 2020 7:58 AM in response to linusmetelko

After going back and forth with them a few time, I finally got them to acknowledge that it was a bug and not expected behavior. He didn't give me any next steps and just told me to keep my computer updated and that a fix may be in an update sometime. I asked if they'd contact me again as a follow up and he said he wasn't sure lol.

Mouse cursor flickers when changing states using the Discrete GPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.