Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Quits Unexpectedly

Running macOS Sierra on iMac, no problems until a few days ago. Now frequently the mail program quits unexpectedly and I can reopen it without difficulty. The emails come and go without problems, otherwise all mail functions remain normal. The problem is having to reopen the program several times a day.

Any solution to this?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 10, 2020 1:01 PM

5 replies

Mar 10, 2020 1:32 PM in response to elkriverken

elkriverken:

Mail Quits Unexpectedly:[...] The problem is having to reopen the program several times a day. Any solution to this?

———-

A Few Thoughts to Try:

• Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes changes are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for macOS) become manipulated, in the technically. So, reset both on your Mac. See if it now works as intended.

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

How to Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

• Try this as a new administrator. See what happens. If this does not occur in it, then it is something configured in your current user.

• Rid of Any Security Software. If too much is processing in the background, then the Security Software is probable making it close. Use the uninstaller from the developer’s site. Just dragging-and-dropping it to the Trash will let coaches lay in the Mac’s OS.

• Add or Rid of it as a Login Item: See if this is a Login item. If it is in the list, then remove it from the is If it is not in the list then remove it from the list.

First, Go to Login Items:

1. Go To: System Preferences
  2. Select: Users & Groups
  3. Click: This user name
  4. Click: Login Items
  5. Select: Uneeded items.
  6. Click: “-“ button

Then, Force Quit Mail:

See if an application is not responding. If that is the case, Force Quit it.

1. Go To: Apple Menu
  2. Select: Force Quit...
  3. Select: An Item Ending in: “Not Responding
  4. Click: the Force Quit button

Mar 13, 2020 8:29 AM in response to elkriverken

elkriverken Said:

Waited a couple of days to confirm the solution was lasting. I don't know which of the items ultimately led to correcting my problem, but all is now well. Thank you for your help.

———-

You are welcome.

If the Solution that worked comes to mind, I most certainly recommend informing Apple of this, as it may be a glitch or bug in the MacOS. That way, Apple will know what to look into.

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select:Bug Report” for the “Feedback Type
  3. Proceed from there as necessary

Mail Quits Unexpectedly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.