Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad Air 3 Touchscreen response

Does anyone have any problems with the touchscreen on their Ipad Air 3? I initially thought it was my bad typing. I was getting missing letters when I used the on screen keyboard. But now I am sure it isn't me. I am also finding the screen is temporarily freezing and is totally unresponsive. After a short time (5-10 seconds) it comes back to life.

Trouble is, the problem is intermittent. I've been to the Apple store but as I cannot replicate the problem on demand they are unwilling to repair or replace the machine.

iPad Air 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on Mar 12, 2020 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2020 6:26 AM

This is a well known issue here in these iPad support communities.

This intermittent, unresponsive touch screen issue affects a continuing, growing minority of iPad Pro users/models across all 4 years of iPad Pro models, as well as the new 2019 10.5 inch screen iPad Air 3.

Take a look at these long standing, longer posts on the subject of this intermittent, unresponsive touch screen

issue, below.

There is STILL no “official” confirmed iOS updates, solutions/fixes, from Apple, after nearly 18 months, now!

None.

That is because this issue is either STILL only affecting a growing, but still very small minority of iPad Pro users OR iPad Pro users are simply NOT reporting this issue enough here in these official Apple iPad support communities OR simply NOT posting enough feedback to Apple about this intermittent, unresponsive iPad Pro touch screen issue to alert the proper responsible and cognizant Apple employees and teams and get them working on this iPad Pro touch screen problem.

iPad Pro touch screen intermittent unresp… - Apple Community

iPad Pro screen unresponsive - Apple Community

iPad Pro 12.9” not responding to touch in… - Apple Community

The best you can do is to continue to alert Apple to this growing issue and hammer the Apple iPad feedback pages mutiple times on this issue.

The only way to get Apple to, DIRECTLY, listen to you is to use their feedback portion of their website.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the data to the proper and responsible Apple teams and personnel , but NO Apple employees will ever respond with any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

You can post as much multiple feedback about this issue any time.

The more users that post product feedback about any product issue, the faster Apple is made aware and starts working/continues to work on a fix/solution for a future software update.

As I stated, this intermittent, unresponsive iPad Pro touch screen issue has plagued a small, but growing minority of iPad Pro users across all 4 years of iPad Pro models for just about 18 months, now!

Also, I suggest contacting/reaching out to Apple Product support and services.

Tap on the first link below and scroll down some to get to the Apple Product Support section and phone numbers for your location/region.

https://www.apple.com/contact/

OR

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Best of Luck to You!

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2020 6:26 AM in response to Grandadchristopher

This is a well known issue here in these iPad support communities.

This intermittent, unresponsive touch screen issue affects a continuing, growing minority of iPad Pro users/models across all 4 years of iPad Pro models, as well as the new 2019 10.5 inch screen iPad Air 3.

Take a look at these long standing, longer posts on the subject of this intermittent, unresponsive touch screen

issue, below.

There is STILL no “official” confirmed iOS updates, solutions/fixes, from Apple, after nearly 18 months, now!

None.

That is because this issue is either STILL only affecting a growing, but still very small minority of iPad Pro users OR iPad Pro users are simply NOT reporting this issue enough here in these official Apple iPad support communities OR simply NOT posting enough feedback to Apple about this intermittent, unresponsive iPad Pro touch screen issue to alert the proper responsible and cognizant Apple employees and teams and get them working on this iPad Pro touch screen problem.

iPad Pro touch screen intermittent unresp… - Apple Community

iPad Pro screen unresponsive - Apple Community

iPad Pro 12.9” not responding to touch in… - Apple Community

The best you can do is to continue to alert Apple to this growing issue and hammer the Apple iPad feedback pages mutiple times on this issue.

The only way to get Apple to, DIRECTLY, listen to you is to use their feedback portion of their website.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the data to the proper and responsible Apple teams and personnel , but NO Apple employees will ever respond with any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

You can post as much multiple feedback about this issue any time.

The more users that post product feedback about any product issue, the faster Apple is made aware and starts working/continues to work on a fix/solution for a future software update.

As I stated, this intermittent, unresponsive iPad Pro touch screen issue has plagued a small, but growing minority of iPad Pro users across all 4 years of iPad Pro models for just about 18 months, now!

Also, I suggest contacting/reaching out to Apple Product support and services.

Tap on the first link below and scroll down some to get to the Apple Product Support section and phone numbers for your location/region.

https://www.apple.com/contact/

OR

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Best of Luck to You!

Apr 21, 2020 10:50 AM in response to Grandadchristopher

I had this problem with my new iPad Air 3. I took it to the Apple store and suggested I do a full reset and restore. This did not help, and I then did an online chat with support and they replaced my iPad with a new one, no questions asked. The new one worked fine for about a month, and is now doing the same thing. Thus, it’s hard for me to believe this only impacts a minority of users. I have to wonder if they simply have a bad batch of screens, as when frozen, my bluetooth keyboard works just fine, which confirms the device itself is not hung. Apple needs to admit they have a problem and get it fixed once and for all.

Apr 21, 2020 1:21 PM in response to philm67

You can believe that this is a random hardware/software event and not just a bad batch of iPad Air 3 models, as you suggest.

The iPad Air 3 hardware is based upon the 2017, 10.5 inch screen, iPad Pro which some isolated amount units have this exact same intermittent, unresponsive touch screen issue as does an isolated set of other 2015-2018 iPad Pro 12.9, 10.5 and 11 inch screen models, as well.

This intermittent, unresponsive touch screen issue/problems has affected a lesser amount of the 2015-2016, 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro models.

Unbelievably this touch screen issues has NOT affected virtually ANY of the 2016 9.7 inch screen iPad Pro models.

This intermittent,,unresponsive touch screen issue that STILL only affects a small minority/percentage of mainly iPad Pro models and now early in the 2019 iPad Air 3 models seems to manifest itself with a large install of an initial introduction of a new iOS version as this touch screen issue basically started for iPad Pro models with the initial introduction of both iOS 12 and iOS 13/iPadOS 13.

I just went and purchase another, used, 2016, 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro model in 256 GBs storage size ( I had a 2015, 12.9 inch screen, 128 GBs storage model ) as I was very concerned if I purchased a newer, refurbished 2017 model OR newer, there was a chance I would get one of these problematic touch screen units.

So I had been on the hunt for another older model 2016 iPad Pro as these 4 to 41/2 year old models have not had a very high rate of this intermittent, unresponsive touch screen issue, compared to the newer 2017 and 2018 model iPad Pro models.

I just got this 2016, 12.9 inch screen iPad yesterday and there have been no issues, so far, and this iPad was well taken care of as I looks like a brand new iPad.

The price was very reasonable for a 4-year old device.

Touch screen appears to work fine.

Jun 9, 2020 2:43 AM in response to philm67

A quick update. With no case I still had occasional issues (although it was better). Next step, I removed the tempered glass screen protector (didn’t seem to make much difference) and then considered what I was wearing and sitting on. UnderArmour technical gear and a synthetic covered seat cushion. Static nightmare. So I earthed myself to a nearby radiator which instantly solved the problem each time. I then tried wearing cotton / denim. The problem didn’t return. It seems this batch of iPad Air 3 screens is more susceptible to static than the older iPad Air I was using (or my iPhone XR which never has this issue - although it is in a leather case which will not generate static). Minimising static (by earthing or wearing natural fibres - Not silk and cat fur - remember the old physics static electricity lessons) has solved the problem on my iPad.

Jun 12, 2020 4:42 AM in response to Grandadchristopher

YES! I have the same issue on my iPad Air (3rd gen). The screen goes unresponsive randomly. Very annoying and frustrating. Especially since I use it to type of receipts and collect payments from customers, while they’re waiting on me.

i have an appointment next week at Apple, I’ll post how it went. After reading here I’m not too confident anymore. Unfortunately you can’t duplicate randomness.

Jul 12, 2020 6:51 AM in response to Grandadchristopher

MY iPad Air 3 suddenly decided to go into voice mode, telling me how to access the iPad. The problem is, a black square outline surrounds passcode and everything it tells me to do. The touchscreen, doesn't work and nothing will happen, freezes it. When I try to touch cancel, it shouts out CANCEL! but, nothing happens. I tried finding out online and following instructions to hold down right hand button and top one together for 10 seconds. Still the same. Eventually, I've given up and then had trouble turning the iPad Air off! Hoping it may reset later, or next day, but it won't.

Jul 13, 2020 2:45 PM in response to Stomper1480

Today I took my IPad Air to the Apple Shop in Sheffield. Because of COVID, we were queuing. While we were waiting, a lovely guy, letting people in, asked why we were going into the shop, as he had to direct you, said we’d have to book an appointment to get it looked at. I explained what was wrong and we’d come 50 miles away and when I told him about the voice commands and the line around all the numbers and passcode to get in, he asked to look at it. He knew straight away what it was. He clicked each number once, then double clicked the same, one at a time. It actually entered the numbers and he was able to turn off the aid-for the blind! And, it went back to normal! Amazing.

Jul 17, 2020 12:41 PM in response to Grandadchristopher

Same iPad and been getting the same issues for nearly 2 months (Covid meant approaching an Apple store wasn’t going to happen). From unresponsive Apps, on the main screen AND dock, to temporary inactive items when open; games, websites... these freeze in use and have even jammed the iPad so I had to restart it!

The call to Apple resulted in insistence that it’s just a software issue, so update iOS, factory reset (no Mac mate),...and it ‘should’ stop the problems. No it doesn’t.

This is my office at home during this pandemic, so I won’t be happy if Apple man wants to “send it off and see what’s happening”

Aug 1, 2020 9:51 PM in response to Grandadchristopher

The touchscreen on my iPad Air (3rd gen) frequently experiences intermittent periods of unresponsiveness to touch. So far, I’ve noticed it only happens when I have Apple Pencil actively connected. When I disconnect the pencil from Bluetooth, the touchscreen responds reliably. But it’s a very annoying tradeoff because I keep having to manually connect the Pencil, which detracts from the convenience.

Sep 25, 2020 2:56 AM in response to Grandadchristopher

Hi I purchased iPad Air 3 recently from curry’s pc world straight out of the box screen was freezing up randomly after doing resets removing screen protectors nothing help after 3 weeks of nightmare I proceed to go back to curry’s for replacement they replaced my iPad no issues and the new one have no problems one big thing I noticed that my first air hade really noticeable red tint ish also called anti glare coating and the replacement unit it still have it but not so noticeable so I was just wondering could have that do something with touch sensitivity I don’t know but just thought I share my experience with you guys

Ipad Air 3 Touchscreen response

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.