Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset password screen on MacBook Pro at start up

The reset password screen keeps appearing on my MacBook Pro when I start it up. If I press previous it freezes, I press next but have just disconnected my wifi and it won’t let me reset the password. Mind you I don’t want to reset it, I just want to be able to type it in. Looks at support which said hold command R on start up, which does nothing

MacBook Pro 15", OS X 10.10

Posted on Mar 13, 2020 12:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2020 10:18 PM

Hi Coolbeans1904,

You're seeing this screen because of the following:

• FileVault is enabled on your Mac.
  • If you forcibly power off your Mac at the login screen immediately after powering on or restarting, it boots to Recovery so that you can reset your password.
  • Your Mac thinks you forcibly powered it off at the login screen, or something is going wrong in NVRAM.

From the three options shown above, select "My password doesn't work when logging in". You'll be asked to enter your current password. When you're asked to enter a new password, simply enter your old one again. If successful, you should restart to the login window.

If that doesn't help, try resetting NVRAM: Hold down Option-Command-P-R for 20 seconds as you power on or restart your Mac.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2020 10:18 PM in response to Coolbeans1904

Hi Coolbeans1904,

You're seeing this screen because of the following:

• FileVault is enabled on your Mac.
  • If you forcibly power off your Mac at the login screen immediately after powering on or restarting, it boots to Recovery so that you can reset your password.
  • Your Mac thinks you forcibly powered it off at the login screen, or something is going wrong in NVRAM.

From the three options shown above, select "My password doesn't work when logging in". You'll be asked to enter your current password. When you're asked to enter a new password, simply enter your old one again. If successful, you should restart to the login window.

If that doesn't help, try resetting NVRAM: Hold down Option-Command-P-R for 20 seconds as you power on or restart your Mac.

Mar 13, 2020 3:44 AM in response to Coolbeans1904

You do not say what exact Mac /model /year /size /retina /touchbar is this

or

what exact macOS you are currently running?

Non the less try resetting NVRAM/PRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

and resetting the SMC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

See it you can boot to Recovery —

Boot into Recovery (Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD (and the "Macintosh HD-Data" volume as well if Catalina) If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Reset password screen on MacBook Pro at start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.