Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disinfecting iPhones

Given covid19, disinfecting one's iPhone every now and then is not a bad idea. Obviously putting it in the dishwasher is a very bad idea but I wonder... I work in a medical facility and have access to a UV light disinfecting chamber. UV light kills viruses and bacteria. The question is, does anyone know whether UV light can harm an iPhone? Thanks!

iPhone XR

Posted on Mar 13, 2020 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2020 9:44 AM

TO All: I just spoke with Apple Support. They advised NOT to use ultraviolet light to disinfect an iPhone because it can cause the screen to deteriorate, device overheating, etc.

11 replies

Mar 13, 2020 9:02 AM in response to ferdelance09

If any of the cleaning products get inside the device, it will be toast and your warranty too. By their nature such products are much more penetrating than plain old water, so the water resistance of the newer models may not be enough.

A workaround can be one of the waterproof shells on the market; Lifeproof comes to mind. Do a moderate clean of the device (or do this as you take it out of the box from the onset), pop it and seal it in the shell, and henceforth disinfect the outside of the shell, not the device. Thereby protecting the user and the device.

Mar 13, 2020 9:22 AM in response to fyip

Thanks, but your answer is not helpful. The specific question was

whether exposure to UV light (ultraviolet light) which kills viruses

and bacteria on exposure is safe to use with an iPhone. There is no

liquid, compressed gas or anything else involved. My concern is that

exposure to UV light may cause harm to the screen, for example. This is

really a yes or no type question.

Disinfecting iPhones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.