Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac shuts down during sleep - Mojave 10.14.6

My iMac has been shutting down every time during sleep. I have tried removing all peripherals, and replacing the USB hub, in case that was bad. Still happening.

Once the machine shuts down during sleep, it will not restart without the SMC trick. It's pretty scary when you have to unplug a Mac, and replug it back in to get it to even turn on!! I've also done the PRAM reset a few times. Though this still happens.

The last time this happened, I had the usb hub plugged in, which has a small light on it. The light was on during the Mac's sleep, but when I pressed one of the keys on the keyboard to wake the machine, the light went out. So, I suspect that the Mac is actually shutting down on the "wake" part.

My mouse and keyboard are both wireless. Any chance this is a wifi issue? Perhaps I would try a wired mouse or keyboard?

My Mac is less than 3 years old, so still under Apple Care. Will try them if no answers found here. :-)

Posted on Mar 13, 2020 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2020 9:58 AM

Are any third-party utilities installed? Anti-virus or security apps? So-called "cleaning/tuneup/optimization" apps?

My 2017 5K did something very similar, including the need to do the SMC reset. I was running High Sierra at the time. The issue stopped when I went to System Preferences > Energy Saver and checked the top box:

Note: I am now running Mojave and have not tested to see if the problem has been fixed.

I encourage you to ask via AppleCare as we are not the only two people who have encountered similar symptoms. If yo uget a definitive answer, please return here and post what you found out. I will help a lot of people.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2020 9:58 AM in response to cygnetswan

Are any third-party utilities installed? Anti-virus or security apps? So-called "cleaning/tuneup/optimization" apps?

My 2017 5K did something very similar, including the need to do the SMC reset. I was running High Sierra at the time. The issue stopped when I went to System Preferences > Energy Saver and checked the top box:

Note: I am now running Mojave and have not tested to see if the problem has been fixed.

I encourage you to ask via AppleCare as we are not the only two people who have encountered similar symptoms. If yo uget a definitive answer, please return here and post what you found out. I will help a lot of people.

Mar 13, 2020 12:06 PM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks for your reply. And sorry - I did neglect to add some of the other troubleshooting I've done, which you mentioned:

• No third-party utilities. Just Backblaze Cloud backup - and I disabled that as part of my troubleshooting
  • I did download Malwarebytes as part of troubleshooting, it didn't seem to help, so I uninstalled that
  • No other clean-up or optimization stuff running
  • I originally had that "prevent computer from sleeping auto..." checked, and then unchecked it for troubleshooting - no difference

One person mentioned a bad power supply as a possibility. But wouldn't that yield a "Mac shut down unexpectedly" dialogue upon re-start? And why would I need to do and SMC reset just to *get* it to restart?

iMac shuts down during sleep - Mojave 10.14.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.