Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I use Logic Pro X on Sierra?

If I upgrade to Sierra from El Capitan can get the latest Logic version?

Posted on Mar 14, 2020 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2020 1:17 PM

Generally speaking, when I was more active in this field I only upgraded when there was something I absolutely needed, never upgrade for the **** of it or because you can. Invest the time in learning to use what you have.

A tiny bit of wisdom is worth 10,00 pages of information and a 1,000 pages of knowledge.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2020 1:17 PM in response to kerochan

Generally speaking, when I was more active in this field I only upgraded when there was something I absolutely needed, never upgrade for the **** of it or because you can. Invest the time in learning to use what you have.

A tiny bit of wisdom is worth 10,00 pages of information and a 1,000 pages of knowledge.

Mar 22, 2020 5:07 AM in response to Pancenter

Sorry it's taken a little while but I used Softtubes CL1B on the guitar with these settings:

So a slow attack and a fast release. You can apply way more compression without it sounding like it's too compressed like this but attack and release times are crucial. This compressor setting is fairly gentle though because a lot of the work is being done with volume automation:

Looks drastic but sounds natural in the song because the volume changes and the compressor act together but just posting the compressor settings would only be half the story for this mix.

Mar 14, 2020 6:57 PM in response to octopi

Same... :-) Mid-2010 Mac Pro, Logic 9.1.5 and the last version of snow leopard, 10.6.8? This rig has both my RME and UAD hardware in it and is still very comfortable. Also have a PC I built a few years back. Not doing much these days, been playing a lot. Did do an ethnic acoustic group. Mandolin, nylon string guitar, percussion, violin and upright bass. They played a type of middle eastern jazz, improvisational. All in real time, 8 tracks, three pieces of music. Interesting, i did a close mic session and a stereo mic session. Everyone liked the stereo recording better. Thats about it, edit a weekly radio show for archiving.

Mar 15, 2020 5:15 AM in response to Pancenter

Many thanks for the kind words. The best thing about this is that no one who bought the E.P has asked the band 'what was it recorded and mixed in'? Because they don't care.

This is a Logic forum so of course we discuss such things but it's good to hold on to the fact that no average listener of music cares what was used to make a record they like or what computer/medium was used to record it.

Mar 15, 2020 8:29 AM in response to octopi

Great point, a compliment in it's own right.

As a guitarist I have a question, there's compression on the guitar, but it's very smooth/musical, not once did it stick out but became a natural part of the mix in it's own space. Was that a hardware unit or software. I thought the use of compression overall became a natural part of the musical landscape.

Mar 15, 2020 1:25 PM in response to Pancenter

On that song, with the guitar, it's slow attack, fast release. As slow of an attack as I could get away with.

I'll have to look at the project to see what compressor I used (and I'll do that tomorrow) but it was definately slow attack and fast release. The rest was done with volume automation. So I didn't overcook the comp too much and did the rest of the moves with volume.

There was no compression when tracking the guitarist as he hates to not hear his pick attack and a lot of people who recorded him tend to have a compressor on him (even though it's not always printing) but with a mega fast attack and it really throws him out. That's why, on the mix, you can hear his pick hitting the strings and it sounds way more natural.

can I use Logic Pro X on Sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.