Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

tv app and hls (.movpkg) files

hls files will not share as Apple intends. One advisor suggested I wasn’t using the system the way it was intended. He said I should be AirPlaying movies instead of trying to using family sharing. No matter who I’ve spoken to, the answer has been the same. They either don’t have a clue, or they’re happy to sell movies in a format that won’t perform for a premium. Does anyone have wind of a solution?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Mar 15, 2020 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 2:16 PM

From an existing answer on another thread: Huffman1132 Q (Jan 17, 2020), answer by kslksl (Feb 18, 2020), hopefully linked correctly...

"I just finally figured this out as I was facing the same issue and movies downloaded on our mac computer would not play on our Apple TV.

I went to TV app > Preferences > Playback and made sure both "Download Multichannel Audio" and "Download HDR when available" were unchecked. When I restarted the movie download it came down as an m4v file."

I tried this on my Mac and it worked to switch download from movpkg (pre-change) to m4v (post-change). My issue, if anyone has an answer, is how to do this setting on an iPhone or iPad, which are also downloading movpkg. I use my iPhone to download from out-of-home download locations and then copying movies back to my Mac at home. Until I can get my iPhone or iPad to download m4v files, this route to get around my (ex-urban) limited at-home internet is problematic. I tried various settings, and none have worked.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2020 2:16 PM in response to rwallace11

From an existing answer on another thread: Huffman1132 Q (Jan 17, 2020), answer by kslksl (Feb 18, 2020), hopefully linked correctly...

"I just finally figured this out as I was facing the same issue and movies downloaded on our mac computer would not play on our Apple TV.

I went to TV app > Preferences > Playback and made sure both "Download Multichannel Audio" and "Download HDR when available" were unchecked. When I restarted the movie download it came down as an m4v file."

I tried this on my Mac and it worked to switch download from movpkg (pre-change) to m4v (post-change). My issue, if anyone has an answer, is how to do this setting on an iPhone or iPad, which are also downloading movpkg. I use my iPhone to download from out-of-home download locations and then copying movies back to my Mac at home. Until I can get my iPhone or iPad to download m4v files, this route to get around my (ex-urban) limited at-home internet is problematic. I tried various settings, and none have worked.

Mar 16, 2020 5:41 AM in response to rwallace11

rwallace11 wrote:

hls files will not share as Apple intends. One advisor suggested I wasn’t using the system the way it was intended. He said I should be AirPlaying movies instead of trying to using family sharing. No matter who I’ve spoken to, the answer has been the same. They either don’t have a clue, or they’re happy to sell movies in a format that won’t perform for a premium. Does anyone have wind of a solution?

What is the issue?

see if there is anything here:

Watch movies, TV shows, and live content in the Apple TV app ...

Apple TV app at a glance - Apple Support

Set up the Apple TV app on your smart TV or streaming device ...

TV Support - Official Apple Support

iTunes no more: Music, Podcasts, and TV

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/10/macos-10-15-catalina-the-ars-technica-review/7/

Mar 16, 2020 7:58 AM in response to leroydouglas

Because hls movies can’t be shared using family share, these 30 films do not appear on my iPhone or iPad. There is nothing wrong with my settings. I have purchased 588 movies through my Apple TV and about 30 have downloaded in the hls (.movpkg) format. Most of those have been at full price. 30 X 20= $600 worth.

I have been told they’re working on it, that I should be using AirPlay instead of family share. I’ve been dismissed by advisors who have said that it’s a problem few people have. I’ve had advisors walk through my settings.

I am hoping someone out there has stumbled on to something I’ve missed.

tv app and hls (.movpkg) files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.