Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

erasing external hard drive

i am trying to use disk Utility . i am erasing an external hard drive that is formatted APFS . but when i try to erase it, the only choice is APFS. Suggestions ?

MacBook

Posted on Mar 15, 2020 11:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2020 1:46 AM

FWIW, you do not have to be in Recovery Mode to erase an external drive.

See: How to erase a disk for Mac - Apple Support

Make sure to select "Show All Devices" from the Disk Utility "View" icon then select the top level of the external drive.

4 replies

Mar 16, 2020 12:42 AM in response to mri1397

mri1397 Said:

erasing external hard drive: i am trying to use disk Utility . i am erasing an external hard drive that is formatted APFS . but when i try to erase it, the only choice is APFS. Suggestions ?

———-

Use Disk Utilities in Recovery Mode:

Boot into Recovery Mode, and see if you can format it in Disk Utilities that way.

Be certain to Mount the drive first, erase the Drive, then Format it.

Mar 16, 2020 11:19 AM in response to TheLittles

thank you for your help. I put the hard drive in a Windows machine and used disk management.MSC to evaluate the situation, then I use partition assistant to delete all the partitions. Then I use partition assistant again, this time to merge the partitions. Next, still using partition assistant, I formatted the disc to NTFC. that went okay. I plan to use the disc in Windows machines. I have copied and pasted the information you gave me into a document file, which I will save on my server, in case the situation comes up again

thanks again

Mar 17, 2020 7:14 AM in response to mri1397

You are welcome.

NTFS, I'm sure is what you mean. There is no "NTFC" partition type. So, use a PC and see if you can format it using it. That is why using a PC it is a success for NTFS partition-creations. Using third party-apps to format it might be an option, though.

For example:

Partition Magic is/was a great program for managing partitions. It was discontinued in 2009. Regardless, if you have an older computer, you could use that software for creating partitions. It might work on a Virtual Machine, though. Virtual Machine programs are VMWare Fusion and Parallels. Basically, a Virtual Machine is "Windows-in-a-window."

erasing external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.