Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error message "Could not create a preboot volume for APFS install"

I factory reset my MacBook pro from 2011 and was trying to reinstall MacOS High Sierra and I'm getting the error message "Could not create a preboot volume for APFS install. We bought the computer used and don't have any info on what it had originally . My daughter used it and now she has a new MacBook pro so I wanted to wipe it and reset it to maybe use for my son. It was running very slow so i thought a factory reset would be best...just start over, but now it seems we are stuck. Help please.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 16, 2020 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2020 8:13 AM

I'm sorry, I don't know how to do that when I don't have an operating system - can't get to the internet. I've seen things on the internet that say the following steps. Should I try one of these?:

Method #1. Delete Your Partition (Volume).

Note: We must tell you that this method is the most effective in order to fix “could not create a Preboot Volume for APFS install” error.

1. Turn Off your Mac.
  2. Reboot your Mac into Recovery Mode. Press and hold the Power button and in the same time command + R until you see the Apple logo.
  3. Utilities menu will appear.

4. macOS Utilities
  5. Select Disk Utility. All drivers on your Mac will show up.
  6. Select the internal drive and click Erase. This will delete the drive.
  7. Close Disk Utility.
  8. Now you have two options: 
  • Re-open Disk Utility and select the internal drive and format it as “Mac OS Extended”. And then you can reinstall macOS.
  • Or you can turn off your Mac and the reboot it. Press and hold Option + Command + R keys to enter the Internet Recovery Mode. And Select Disk Utility. You will see a drive, and reformat it as “Mac OS Extended” and name it “Macintosh HD”. If you are not seeing the drive, create one and format it as “Mac OS Extended”. And then, you can exit the Disk Utility and click Reinstall macOS.
  • Erase Disk
  •  

Deleting this drive will cause removing the APFS system which is the problem and causing the error and you can reinstall macOS.

Method #2. Enter Internet Recovery Mode.

1. Reboot your Mac.
  2. When your device is rebooting, press the Command + R + Alt/Option in order to put your Mac into Internet Recovery Mode.
  3. Internet Recovery Mode
  4. You should select the WiFi and enter the Utilities
  5. Click Reinstall OS and it should install the original operating system on your computer.

If you want to install High Sierra you can install or update from the App Store when the process is finished.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2020 8:13 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I'm sorry, I don't know how to do that when I don't have an operating system - can't get to the internet. I've seen things on the internet that say the following steps. Should I try one of these?:

Method #1. Delete Your Partition (Volume).

Note: We must tell you that this method is the most effective in order to fix “could not create a Preboot Volume for APFS install” error.

1. Turn Off your Mac.
  2. Reboot your Mac into Recovery Mode. Press and hold the Power button and in the same time command + R until you see the Apple logo.
  3. Utilities menu will appear.

4. macOS Utilities
  5. Select Disk Utility. All drivers on your Mac will show up.
  6. Select the internal drive and click Erase. This will delete the drive.
  7. Close Disk Utility.
  8. Now you have two options: 
  • Re-open Disk Utility and select the internal drive and format it as “Mac OS Extended”. And then you can reinstall macOS.
  • Or you can turn off your Mac and the reboot it. Press and hold Option + Command + R keys to enter the Internet Recovery Mode. And Select Disk Utility. You will see a drive, and reformat it as “Mac OS Extended” and name it “Macintosh HD”. If you are not seeing the drive, create one and format it as “Mac OS Extended”. And then, you can exit the Disk Utility and click Reinstall macOS.
  • Erase Disk
  •  

Deleting this drive will cause removing the APFS system which is the problem and causing the error and you can reinstall macOS.

Method #2. Enter Internet Recovery Mode.

1. Reboot your Mac.
  2. When your device is rebooting, press the Command + R + Alt/Option in order to put your Mac into Internet Recovery Mode.
  3. Internet Recovery Mode
  4. You should select the WiFi and enter the Utilities
  5. Click Reinstall OS and it should install the original operating system on your computer.

If you want to install High Sierra you can install or update from the App Store when the process is finished.

Error message "Could not create a preboot volume for APFS install"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.