Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I put 1RX8 PC3 14900 E Ram in Mac Pro Quad Intel 2.8ghz 2008

Hello, I have a mac pro with spare Ram slots which I can apparrently fill to 32 GB.

My mare has some old ram from a newer mac Pro.

Im aware the best ram for the '08 mac pro is 4GB DDR2 RAM 800MHz PC DIMM 240 pin For Intel System.

Can I use this 1RX8 PC3 14900 E instead?

thanks

Posted on Mar 16, 2020 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2020 9:22 AM

Mac Pro with Xeon processor requires Error Correcting Code (ECC) RAM. This is "Server" type RAM. The 8GB modules that are approved for that model are DDR2-800 PC2-6400 240-pin ECC FBDIMM ECC with Apple-Approved heat sensor on-board.

It is unlikely to work correctly with other types. If it works at all, you will loose the Error Correction feature, the best thing that computer has going for it. In addition, lack of an Apple-approved heat sensor on board will cause the main fans at their TOP speed at all times, which will make you crazy.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2020 9:22 AM in response to vahakn1

Mac Pro with Xeon processor requires Error Correcting Code (ECC) RAM. This is "Server" type RAM. The 8GB modules that are approved for that model are DDR2-800 PC2-6400 240-pin ECC FBDIMM ECC with Apple-Approved heat sensor on-board.

It is unlikely to work correctly with other types. If it works at all, you will loose the Error Correction feature, the best thing that computer has going for it. In addition, lack of an Apple-approved heat sensor on board will cause the main fans at their TOP speed at all times, which will make you crazy.

Can I put 1RX8 PC3 14900 E Ram in Mac Pro Quad Intel 2.8ghz 2008

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.