Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two iPhoto Library in one... How to combine

Hello,

I have an old photo library on an external hard drive and I would like to combine with library that I'm using now (combine the two libraries).

Is there an automatic way? if not, what can i do? To load the old library I know I have to hold down "alt" at the start of the iPhoto app, but I have to choose one of the two and instead I'd like to combine them to organize them.

I gladly accept suggestions

thank you,

Francesco

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 18, 2020 1:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2020 7:16 AM

The best way to merge two Photos Libraries is to upload one after the other to iCloud Photos. You will get a merged library in iCloud and it will download merged the currently open Photos Library, see: Notes on Merging Photos Libraries, 2019 V… - Apple Community

The drawback is, that you will need enough free cloud storage to be able to store the combined library in iCloud, at least during the merging. And you will need some patience during the upload. All other methods are somewhat lossy (Combine libraries in Photos - Apple Support).

In Photos 5 on Catalina you can get quite a good merging of Libraries, if you invest into PowerPhotos. If you get yourself the full, paid version, you can easily move complete albums of photos between Photos Libraries. https://www.fatcatsoftware.com/powerphotos/Docs/merge_libraries.html

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2020 7:16 AM in response to Maraja1990

The best way to merge two Photos Libraries is to upload one after the other to iCloud Photos. You will get a merged library in iCloud and it will download merged the currently open Photos Library, see: Notes on Merging Photos Libraries, 2019 V… - Apple Community

The drawback is, that you will need enough free cloud storage to be able to store the combined library in iCloud, at least during the merging. And you will need some patience during the upload. All other methods are somewhat lossy (Combine libraries in Photos - Apple Support).

In Photos 5 on Catalina you can get quite a good merging of Libraries, if you invest into PowerPhotos. If you get yourself the full, paid version, you can easily move complete albums of photos between Photos Libraries. https://www.fatcatsoftware.com/powerphotos/Docs/merge_libraries.html

Mar 22, 2020 6:14 AM in response to léonie

Allow me to ask you another question as you are solving so many problems and thank you in advance.

My situation is:

- I currently have the synchronized photos of my Iphone 7 on iCloud from 2017 to today 2020. I also have these photos on my Mac in a Photos Library, on the internal hard drive, as it has downloaded them from iCloud precisely.

- The second Photos Library of my old iPhone 6 of 2015-2017 photos is on an external hard drive.

I'm following the instructions Notes on Merging Photos Libraries, 2019 V… - Apple Community and I understand that I have two alternatives:

1. Merge the libraries in iCloud by uploading them to the same iCloud Photo Library

2. Merge the libraries by exporting the photos

The best of the two is the first solution. Also because I saw that uploading them by hand to iCloud with the second solution, allows me to upload only photos and not videos.

I state that I have activated the 200Gb plan on iCloud and that I have enough space for new photos.

So I'm trying to follow the instructions of the first solution, but I don't start uploading photos to iCloud and I don't understand why. I'm doing:

1) Open the old library (2015-2017) which is on the external hard disk and set it as the system photo library

2) activate iCloud in the Photos app

3) clicking on iCloud photo, it gives me this message: Only items copied to the library will be uploaded to "iCloud Photos".

4) I leave these settings: Optimize Mac storage

Now on the iCloud site I should see the photos from this library added to those that are already present in the cloud. Quite right? What do I have to do?

Sorry for the length of the text but I wanted to be as clear as possible.

Two iPhoto Library in one... How to combine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.