Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPhone

I love the fingerprint identification on my iPhone 6S+ and I’ve been trying to hold out for the new iPhones in October. But my phone is acting a fool....do any of you know if I get a new phone now with facial recognition if it will be a software update to install fingerprint identification or if it won’t be available at all to older models? TIA

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 19, 2020 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2020 12:10 PM

No software update can get you a finger print scanner on an iPhone that does not have one. Its a piece of hardware that is not included in the new phones.

Apple has moved to Face ID, and Touch ID is unlikely to be coming back. The only currently sold iPhone with touch ID is the iPhone 8.

Buy iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus - Apple

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2020 12:10 PM in response to GrrrSeriously

No software update can get you a finger print scanner on an iPhone that does not have one. Its a piece of hardware that is not included in the new phones.

Apple has moved to Face ID, and Touch ID is unlikely to be coming back. The only currently sold iPhone with touch ID is the iPhone 8.

Buy iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus - Apple

New iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.