Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset to Factory setting on Macbook Pro mid 2014

I've been trying to reset to factory on my Mackbook Pro (Retina 13in, mid-2014.

I have signed out of itunes and my apple id. When I reboot holding the command and R keys, it continually takes me to recovery mode. I cannot get it to go to the utility disk screen.

What am I missing?

Any help is appreciated.

Mac Pro

Posted on Mar 19, 2020 3:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2020 3:35 PM

Do you not see the Utilities window at all? Is there a Utilities icon at the top of the screen?

What version of MacOS do you have installed?

What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201065

9 replies

Mar 20, 2020 9:48 AM in response to Rysz

Here is what I've done so far....multiple times and I keep getting put into recovery mode each time.

Backed up the pc, and shut down MacBook Pro.

Boot it back up, then press and hold “Command-R” (the “Command” and “R” keys at the same time) to start the restore process. Held these keys until the Apple logo appears on the screen, and then released them. I am then take to the recovery mode.

From the instructions I should be taken to an alternative boot screen with a “Mac OS X Utilities” menu but I don't get there.

MacOs Catalina version 10.15.3

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13 inch, Mid 2014)

thanks so much for any help

Mar 20, 2020 10:33 AM in response to Rysz

I just tried and it went straight to MacOS recovery. What odd is that when it goes into recovery it still see me and ask for my password. I've signed out of itunes and icloud and before I turn it off I log out of my profile.

In the upper right, when I click on the apple, I get an option to choose a startup disk or restart. When I choose the startup disk, it says it's encrypted and I need to enter a password. If I choose restart, it just restarts my pc and then asked me to sign in.

How can I get it to not have my profile when it restarts. I thought that once I signed out of everything, it should not see it.

thanks

Mar 20, 2020 10:45 AM in response to kkcdy99

Signing out is not sufficient, as per the first link provided. A complete erase of the disk and System is needed.

Are there no icons on the top-left of the screen? What happens when you don't enter the encryption password?

The only other suggestion I have is to reinstall macOS using a full-installer, in case there's a corruption on your installed version. Find Catalina in the Mac App Store and initiate the download from there, not from Software Updates in System Preferences.

Reset to Factory setting on Macbook Pro mid 2014

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.