Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stand removal of iMac 27in (2013)?

Can the stand be removed from my iMac 27in 3.2 (2013) model?

There are You Tube videos showing the procedure with sliding a key card in back to release a button to reveal screws but I am either not doing it right or it can't be done.

Anyone, please help!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 20, 2020 9:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2020 9:52 AM

Information I am finding is that the quick-release method was pulled from the iMac design starting with the "thin-line" versions in 2012. To access the stand internally you now have to gut the computer.

Too many of the articles I found were not helpful because they did not identify the year of the iMac they were using. Some images were of iMacs from early 2009 that still had the black back cover. That's really information obsolescence!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2020 9:52 AM in response to amderrick1

Information I am finding is that the quick-release method was pulled from the iMac design starting with the "thin-line" versions in 2012. To access the stand internally you now have to gut the computer.

Too many of the articles I found were not helpful because they did not identify the year of the iMac they were using. Some images were of iMacs from early 2009 that still had the black back cover. That's really information obsolescence!

Mar 20, 2020 10:45 AM in response to HWTech

It's so crazy that Apple goes out of their way to make things so difficult.

I thank Sir Jony Ive for that! Of course, in the Isaacson biography, the writer states the Steve Jobs did not want the original Macs to be capable of being opened. Cooler heads prevailed.

This what the VESA factory model looks like:

I suspect there is an internal gusset plate mounted inside as well to help spread the load over a thin bit of metal sheet.

Mar 20, 2020 10:29 AM in response to Allan Jones

Wow!, I never realized this, but you are correct (I checked the actual Service Guide). It's so crazy that Apple goes out of their way to make things so difficult.

@amderrick1, it is a major project requiring removal of almost everything inside the iMac. I guess I'm really tired since I am not able to determine whether the existing iMac housing can be retrofitted with a VESA mount. The service guide actually mentions a VESA Rear Housing. Normally the service guide will provide instructions on how to add a VESA mount, but this guide does not so I think the official method is to replace the entire housing, but it is not clear.

Stand removal of iMac 27in (2013)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.