Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an old ipod (classic? 30GB with lots of songs I want to download on a newer computer.

The computer recognIizes the ipod. I can move songs from computer to ipod, but not from ipod to computer. I do not want to sync and remove songs from the ipod. How do I get selected songs from ipod to computer?

iPod Classic

Posted on Mar 20, 2020 7:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2020 6:30 AM

Yes, but this is a forum, not a chat room. As such, you post - and then you wait for a reply, which might come come once I wake up from my night's slumber. According to your post, you posted about 3am my time I think.

Syncing is one way, from iTunes to the iPod. So if you attempt to sync an iPod with a different iTunes Library, iTunes will ask your permission to remove (delete) everything from the iPod and put on it only what is in its Library.

The proper way to get music onto your computer is to copy it from the old computer (i.e. where your old iTunes Library is located) onto a memory stick and then copy it from that onto the new computer. Once that's done, you the "add the music" to the new iTunes. You copy from the file manager, not from iTunes itself.

Alternatively, use the original source of the music:

• your old CDs
  • re-downlaod the music from the store you bought it from
  • re-visit the web site where you obtained the music

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2020 6:30 AM in response to Nash1216

Yes, but this is a forum, not a chat room. As such, you post - and then you wait for a reply, which might come come once I wake up from my night's slumber. According to your post, you posted about 3am my time I think.

Syncing is one way, from iTunes to the iPod. So if you attempt to sync an iPod with a different iTunes Library, iTunes will ask your permission to remove (delete) everything from the iPod and put on it only what is in its Library.

The proper way to get music onto your computer is to copy it from the old computer (i.e. where your old iTunes Library is located) onto a memory stick and then copy it from that onto the new computer. Once that's done, you the "add the music" to the new iTunes. You copy from the file manager, not from iTunes itself.

Alternatively, use the original source of the music:

• your old CDs
  • re-downlaod the music from the store you bought it from
  • re-visit the web site where you obtained the music

Mar 31, 2020 9:15 AM in response to kthyallsn

Most iPods have a 30-pin adaptor. I think some of the earliest were Firewire models, with most being USB. You'd need an appropriate original docking cable, and potentially a USB to Firewire adaptor. iTunes/Music might not work properly with such an adaptor, but you might still be able to connect to drive in disk mode to copy off the contents.

See Identify your iPod model - Apple Support to check which model you have.

tt2

Mar 21, 2020 12:34 PM in response to Nash1216

It depends what went wrong with the old computer and whether you still have it.

If the hard drive is still readable, buy a hard disk caddy, put the drive in it and treat it like an external hard drive connected to your new machine. Your local computer shop (or a mate who knows about these things) will be able to help out with a hard disk caddy.

It's possible to buy software that will take the music from an iPod and put it onto a computer. I don't know much about that type of software, nor how much it costs, so I'm not able to recommend anything. Try searching for "software to copy from iPod to computer". See if you can find free trial versions of any software you like the look of.

Otherwise, it may be back to the original sources.

Don't worry about the sleep thing, you didn't wake me! :)

I have an old ipod (classic? 30GB with lots of songs I want to download on a newer computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.