Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing old iPhoto pictures

I recently bought a new iMac. My old iPhoto library is backed up on an external hard drive. How do I import all of these old pictures in to my new Photos library? Thanks.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 21, 2020 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2020 4:11 PM

You can create a Photos library from your iPhoto Library. Launch Photos with the option key held down. From the resulting dialog, choose the iPhoto Library. Photos will create a new Library from your iPhoto media. Your iPhoto Library will not be changed.

If you have an existing Photos Library and want to merge both libraries, let us know and we can explore the options.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2020 4:11 PM in response to graphics_monger

You can create a Photos library from your iPhoto Library. Launch Photos with the option key held down. From the resulting dialog, choose the iPhoto Library. Photos will create a new Library from your iPhoto media. Your iPhoto Library will not be changed.

If you have an existing Photos Library and want to merge both libraries, let us know and we can explore the options.

Importing old iPhoto pictures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.