Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connection failed

That's the message I get when I try to connect to my husband's desktop from my computer. Under that, in the pop-up box, it says: The server "name" is available on your computer. Access the volumes and files locally."

Sometimes the icon for that computer is visible in the Finder window, but when I try to connect through it, this is the message I see: "There was an error connecting to the server "name". Check the server name or IP address, and then try again. If you are unable to resolve the problem contact your system administrator."

I think that's me. And I have checked the name and IP address. That doesn't seem to be the problem.

Interesting that I have no trouble connecting to my laptop from my desktop, and I have no problem connecting to my desktop from either my laptop or my husband's desktop. The desktops are connected through a cable into a router, and the laptop is connected wireless to the same.

I have run disk warrior and repaired permissions. When I did the latter, one of the repairs said: "Warning: SUID file 'System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAg ent' has been modified and will not be repaired."

Is this a clue? And what do I do now???

Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 19, 2010 5:39 AM

17 replies

Jul 19, 2010 6:24 PM in response to Dorothy Barnett

There could be a number of reasons why you cannot connect, including that access is not allowed. Has your husband let you do this? I am not questioning your domestic situation, but are Sharing preferences set up to allow remote access? You may have turned these on with your own machines, but his may not have been set up in the same way.

As to the question of warnings in repair permissions, these are perfectly normal and you will see them all the time: no problems there.

Jul 19, 2010 9:11 PM in response to Graham K. Rogers

Thank you for your response.

My husband knows nothing about computers. He barely knows how to save files. I'm the one who has set up everything, and I've double checked the sharing prefs, the name, etc.

I have been able to access his computer ever since I gave mine to him and purchased a new one for myself, about a year ago. This has happened since installing the OS update, 10.6.4 on my computer. He has 10.4.11 on his machine, about as far as it can go. I suspect there is something with regard to the update that isn't working properly, and I was hoping someone on this forum may know.

Jul 20, 2010 5:24 AM in response to Dorothy Barnett

Hi Dorothy. Nice to see the boot on the other foot for a change. I guess from what you write, that your husband's computer is a PowerPC. I see you have checked Sharing Preferences. Is there only one account?

In the Finder sidebar do you have an icon of your husband's computer showing. I actually have two. One of these works every time, the other (the computer) needs an extra click. Both of these machines run 10.6.4 and I wonder if, with 10.4.11 on the other machine if some of the security checking is giving problems. Have you tried to use the Finder > Go menu and Connect to server. Use the computer name or (I find this more successful) the IP number of your husband's machine, preceded by afp. Like afp://10.10.10.5

Jul 20, 2010 5:52 AM in response to Graham K. Rogers

Thanks, Graham. Yes, my husband's computer is a PowerPC. Yes, there is only one account on each of our computers. Mine, actually.

Late last night, on his computer, I checked window sharing, remote access, Apple remote access, and remote Apple events -- none of which I've ever checked before (I did not check those on my computer). And now I, also, have two icons. The new one does indeed give me access to his computer's hard drive and desktop, so that is a good thing.

But the other icon used to give me access not only to his computer, but to the drives that were connected to it. I cannot do that through this new icon.

Yes -- when I do Finder > Go > Connect to server and use either the computer name or IP address, I get the message "There was an error connecting to the server "name". Check the server name or IP address, and then try again. If you are unable to resolve the problem contact your system administrator." The same thing happens when I click on that first icon in the Finder. (double-clicking gives the same message)

I tried turning off the firewall on his computer, but that didn't help, so I turned it back on.

Jul 20, 2010 7:43 AM in response to Dorothy Barnett

Well, with some access you are part of the way there.

With both of those icons, I am only able to gain access if I specify an account and use login details. The one which (in my case) shows an icon of an iMac also gives me public folders. The generic icon needs a specific account name/password.

The only other thing I can think of is changes to network settings. I would make direct comparisons between the machine that you can connect to and the one you cannot: things like proxies, DNS, IPv6. It only takes one to be set wrong for things not to function as you would hope.

Jul 20, 2010 4:33 PM in response to Graham K. Rogers

Well, you may be on to something -- but this is an area I'm really in the dark about. I don't know what's necessary and what's not, especially since we are dealing with two different operating systems that have different interfaces. Maybe you can help.

My husband's computer gives an IPv6 address, although "automatically" is selected. The router space is empty. It does give a DHCP Client ID #. The DNS Servers space is empty, but it also says "optional."

My computer has "automatically" selected, also, but there is no IPv6 address given. No router is given, either, and the DHCP Client ID is also blank. It does give two DNS Servers in that space.

Any clues here?

Thank you so much for sticking with me!

Jul 21, 2010 12:38 PM in response to Graham K. Rogers

I turned off the iPv6 on both computers, and entered the DNS numbers into my husband's computer.

No change in access.

Interesting though: I turned on window sharing on his computer, and now under the icon that doesn't work, under the "Connect As" button, there is a button that says "Share Screen." But when I click on that, a message comes up that says "Connection Failed - Please make sure that Screen Sharing (in the Sharing section of System Preferences) is enabled on the computer to which you are attempting to connect. Also make sure your network connection is working properly." Screen Sharing is indeed on.

The change in settings didn't affect my ability to connect to my computer from his. I can connect to not only my hard drive, but to the other drives attached directly to my machine.

"Make sure your network connection is working properly" -- I did check the cable connections earlier, and it's strange that I can access my computer from his, but not his from mine (using the regular icon) so the problem must not be a physical one.

There must be some setting somewhere, on his? on mine? that isn't configured correctly. But what???

Jul 21, 2010 5:37 PM in response to Dorothy Barnett

OK, iPv6 not it.

That second button for screen sharing is normal, but indicates to me that OUTgoing is OK, but not the connection TO the Mac. So, as you analyse, rightly I think, we are missing one of the settings.

As a point, however, how do you connect to that computer (Ethernet or wifi)? From what you write (cable) I presume Ethernet. Have you tried a different cable and/or a different port on the router. Does your husband's PowerPC have wifi? (again I guess not)

Jul 21, 2010 6:17 PM in response to Graham K. Rogers

The only WiFi connection I have is from my laptop to the router. My husband's and my computer are connected with cable ethernet through the router/cable modem. I have no trouble connecting to my laptop.

Again, I can't see why it would be a physical issue since everything was OK until after I updated to OS 10.6.4, I can connect to my computer from his, and I now can connect (by changing some settings) to his computer but not through the regular icon in my finder, and not to all parts of his.

What setting could it be???

Jul 21, 2010 6:39 PM in response to Dorothy Barnett

Thanks, just wanted to confirm connection methods.

It should not be a physical issue, but an update can put some strain on a system, so it is useful to get these out of the way. As far as I can see, there were slight changes in 10.6.4 to VPN security (virtual private network) so there may be something here that has caused this annoying problem for you.

You write that "I now can connect (by changing some settings) to his computer but not through the regular icon". What changes did you make and how much has this improved the situation for you (can you see the external disks)?

Have you tried setting up a new Location for his computer? When 10.6 arrived, I had problems at my office and the solution was to recreate the locations (there are two there) but by typing in the settings, not copying (duplicating). The suggestion then was that there was something in the preference (.plist) files that prevented my connection and the new settings avoided this.

Jul 21, 2010 6:53 PM in response to Graham K. Rogers

I was just referring to the post above (6th one down) where I stated:

"Late last night, on his computer, I checked window sharing, remote access, Apple remote access, and remote Apple events -- none of which I've ever checked before (I did not check those on my computer). And now I, also, have two icons. The new one does indeed give me access to his computer's hard drive and desktop, so that is a good thing.

But the other icon used to give me access not only to his computer, but to the drives that were connected to it. I cannot do that through this new icon."

So no, I cannot see his other disks. but at least if I need to transfer something to his computer, I can do it by placing it on his desktop or in his hard drive, and then I can go to his computer physically and move it. A little cumbersome, but do-able.

I've not tried setting up a new location for his computer. Maybe I should try that -- probably tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks!

Connection failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.