Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connecting an external mic to an iPhone 11

The suggestion to simply connect the microphone while you are recording a video worked. Many thanks to the person who recommended this "wierd" idea. Unfortunately, yes, Apple does not allow a normal connection for something that in today's world (of using a microphone to improve the sound quality of your communication with others over the iPhone) and (worse) does not even admit this shortcoming. For an iPhone 11 this works: simply start recording a video with your phone and while recording plug in the toggle (Lighting) and continue to speak. The video recording than includes audio through your external microphone.

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 22, 2020 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 6:24 AM

Is this for real? Is there not a bug fix to allow the rode wireless go mic to work on the professional iphone11 pro max?

2 replies

May 10, 2020 6:16 AM in response to Kai Holschuh

Results!

I've tried what the OP Kai Holschuh had posted regarding the issue of an external mic with no sound. It didn't entirely work.

My mic is the Rode SmartLav+ iPhone 11 pro.

What I've discovered is that once you want to listen to a recording, all you need to do is remove the mic as the phone thinks that it's a set of headphones and is trying to play the sound to the lightening/c-usb port.

Kai Holschuh's initial review led me to find this further result.

-To record: have mic in.

-To listen: take mic out.

simples..

connecting an external mic to an iPhone 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.