Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ugrading 1tb Fusion drive to 2tb SSD on 2017 IMAC

I will be replacing a 1tb fusion drive with a 2tb Samsung SSD in my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4… 

Will have a couple of up to the minute Time Machine backups available before even starting the upgrade. I’m concerned about the best process for cloning the Fusion drive (SSD/HD) over to the SSD (single drive) and any unforeseen issues that this may present with the migration of the OS and Data to the SSD….

Are there any steps or issues with this process that I should be particularly aware of??

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 22, 2020 10:28 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 24, 2020 10:35 AM in response to cpfromnj

Follow-up… decided to use CCC as you advised… as alluded to in my original post, my concern was that I would not be able to consolidate my MacOS and Data from my original 1tb Fusion over to the new Samsung2tbSSD in one operation. Any insights you could share about this as I think I may be missing something… am I cloning the partition containing the MacOS... the using the Time Machine to do a restore?… the MyPassport1TBSSD is my Time Machine Backup…just need some clarification...

Mar 22, 2020 10:52 AM in response to cpfromnj

Another cloning app is SuperDuper! Both Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper! do the same thing and one is not "better" than the other, some like Carbon Copy Cloner and some like SuperDuper! You can use either to clone your drive and then use either to restore once the SSD is installed. By the way, strongly recommend you use OWC (www.macsales.com) SSDs, some SSDs have trouble with Macs and OWC specializes in Macs.

Mar 22, 2020 4:05 PM in response to cpfromnj

All... Thanks so much for the replies... Have been doing quite a bit of homework to prepare for this upgrade... I’m that guy that reads the manuals before I do anything. Anyway this confirms what I suspected and I am familiar with Super Duper and Carbon Copy and will probably use one of those... I do have Latest version of Acronis already but have only heard one or two other bits of feedback about that, albeit both positive...

Some of my parts are coming from OWC so will also look at those drives also....

Ugrading 1tb Fusion drive to 2tb SSD on 2017 IMAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.